Dumaguete Info Search

Something New in Dumaguete City?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    uh-oh uh-oh... is this another dumagitnon vs. the rest of us kind of thing again. No arguments anymore you guys. I think one ban is enough already. Peace alright? :smile: everyone is entitled to their own opinions, let's just not make it seem too condescending and insulting for the other people in the forum. We're all friends here :smile:

2. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I missed what he did...which is probably a good thing.

I like PhilT's style. I want to hear the reality of things. That is my style as well, but I have toned it down as my focus is on other things. Anyway, I welcome Phil's blunt honesty. I need to hear this sort of thing to take it into consideration before I decide to move to PI. I don't like any bad surprises...or I at least want to minimize them.

PhilT, yes there are a lot of moneymaking schemes. It is best to not get involved in business as a foreigner. Some will have their first trip, love the place and then jump feet first into a scheme thinking it is their ticket to live there. For a foreigner to attempt a business it is best to have some experience living there first and do it with money you can afford to lose.

3. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Disregard my note, PhilT. "yabs" was a very outspoken member as well (expat from Thailand I believe), but that is where the similarities end. Are you British? (I've heard you use the term "bloody" a few times) :wink:

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I dont miss what he did here…I would never symphatize anyone that is rude ,well unless I secretely share his narrow critical views LOL:wink:

It’s nice to hear a variety of opinions but I think one should remember not going past the line to being rude and making sharp subjective criticisms that’ll only cause bad feelings to people.

Having said that ,I was in forum that seem to allow free speech that even rudeness can be freely dish out by anyone if wanted to. Surely once you get drawn into sour exchanges then both of you would only but sound similar, wasting time writing mssgs with no meat in them. But it’s easy to get drawn, when you’re the type of person who wont allow any nonsense, esp if pointing the finger on you.

5. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

I wasn’t making comparison between uk food and Philippine food. I was comparing Dumaguete to other places within in the Philippine setting in terms of people‘s degree of affordability to eat out.

But as you were comparing …

I agree UK food goes through high standard quality checks and they also get best of the crop of imported veges and fruits like bananas from the carribean ,spinach from Egypt,Israel ,everywhere and also with meat products. But I suppose every English /uk person or anyone foreign would say the same when in the Philippines .

Same as for Filipinos in the UK , though your food products are of high quality and selection yet only catering to most of the popular demand ,but you lack variety that we Filipinos missed so much. Fish products,fruits like for instance type of bananas are all the same or just a few variety, even you scout through all supermarkets you got 2 or the most 3 diff kinds of bananas,no cooking bananas.In Tesco,most of the time there's only one type of banana.In Marks and Spencer I have seen the lantudan (green banana) but not often. With Mangos,you got most carribean ones that lacks some taste,Papaya from Brazil sometimes it doesn’t come out good. For all other types of veggies not found in the big supermarkets, if desperate you have to tour east London’s ethnic groceries including the Filipino ones and might have the luck. With all these, I just have to put up and live with the difference so far.

The principle of supply and demand get into this subject. If there’s less demand of cheese and variety of dairy products from the majority of the population in Dgte then apparently by any rationale there will be no supply. Expat community surrounding Dgte is only a handful .Filipinos and mainly Asians don’t consume so much dairy products in comparison to massive volumes they consume over in the west .

So there’s little concern of making more product improvements like cheeses or big imports .Perhaps in areas where there’s high influx of western tourists and expats then there might be more selections. I guess when number of western expat community will grow over time around Dgte, might be lucky will come specialized one or two shops that’ll offer variety of dairy stuffs.

Kanding is OK,I say that , I suppose being a filipino . It comes with stronger smell though, but it will taste fine when cooked nicely and seasoned .I like the kanding kalderita . My husband eats most Philippine food except the dried salted fish and the ginamos.He eats balut too. Very ironic he’s even the one convincing me mad to try eating balut,lols. He buys balut everytime we come back. I think he’s so brave for an English guy to do that.lol:wink:

6. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    another decent restuarant like labbas
    I like it just the way it is.
    Dane if you want junk food etc then why did you move to dumu.
    sounds like cebu or manilla would be more up your street.
    can't understand why anyone wants it to change
    i like it the way it is or was and thats why i chose to live there.
    Looks like all i love or loved about it are fast dissappearing. Its just becoming just another trycicle, polluted mess all too common all over the Phils

7. bradz21

bradz21 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The possibility of opening a Starbucks branch in Dumaguete is nil. :(

8. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    no starbucks?
    well thank f**k for that

9. echir