Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Somewhere nice to stay in Dumaguete for a week (NOT TOURIST Orientated)

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Brian Oinks, Mar 30, 2017.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Typically, it's only you and your family, but there are places to rent rooms. For example, someone buys a condo in Cebu, but they aren't retired yet and only visit Cebu on occasion. They rent their place out so they are making money when they are not there. It's much better than a hotel in general, because they are place that you can live. Have kitchens, cooking utensils, etc. It's more like a home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Coral Cay Resort, San Juan, Siquijor

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I hope you update us, Mr Oinks, when you find a place and stay at it. Its always nice to hear reviews from people who have done their homework :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ariana

ariana DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for this thread. It's very helpful.. I am also visiting Dumaguete soon and the suggested places to stay are okay are helpful..

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You wouldn't believe it mate, but after what seems like forever searching online including asking here, plus looking at what seemed like hundreds of options etc, the Wife has balked at the prices! :banghead: Arrgghh!!!
    I am still trying to talk her into going, even just for a few days to one of two places we picked out, but for now she is unmovable in her decision to 'save money' and stay at home instead... :jawdrop: :banghead:

I HOPE the information shared will help others who are looking at the same thing... :grumpy:

• Like Like x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    WOOT! :woot: Hopefully it will be a LUBERLY WEEKEND! :biggrin: FINALLY! Wifey has settled on a (hopefully) NICE Resort to stay for 3x nights & 4x days, but is still bugging out over the prices of the stay and food on offer! :biggrin: lol I am SURE if it was close to 'town' instead of being a way from the main highway, she would be buying street foods for the entire stay instead of the Resort food! But I cannot wait to hit up some 'western food' just for a treat before having to come back home to reality! :biggrin: hehe

Will update when we get back next week :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Well we are back and I have to admit this is my first time to ever go to a Resort (and my first real holiday in 56 years!) so hard to compare to the experiences others have had, but I must admit it was very relaxing, quiet and exactly what I was looking for! :thumbsup:

We stayed at the Mahogany Upland Resort, the Owners are friendly and approachable, the staff are friendly and very polite, the food was TOO MUCH! I mean it! It was a BATTLE to get through each meal I tried, and I tried a different meal each day, each meal time, and was BLOATED! My Wife and Daughter ended up buying one meal and splitting it between them and were still satisfied! They cater both Western and Filipino Foods so one could easily keep Asawa and the kids very happy if needed! :biggrin:

They have a (from memory I heard someone say) 400 square foot Pool that has a 2 foot deep wader section railed in with a covered roof so parents can sit by their young ones. outside that to the end it is 2 foot deep, to the right of the wader pool is a 4 foot deep section that goes to 12 feet deep at the end, I; being a Moby Dick waited until after tea time to go for a dip and the water was warm and I found that great as it took away the aches and pains I live with 24/7 due to my disabilities, and they are constantly cleaning the pool (which is only 3 week old I believe) so no floating ipis for the foreigners! :biggrin: hehe

The Resort also takes Walk-ins Daily! (I *think* 8:30am to 5:00pm?)
    From memory; they charge 100 pesos for entry and 100 pesos redeemable for drinks at the Bar, so a 200PHP Entry Fee all up which should keep some riff-raff out by banning them bringing in drinks (namely alcoholic beverages!) :wink: Walk-ins are allowed to bring in food and rent a space under cover (which is still in progress) for 300 pesos.

The weekend was VERY BUSY with Walk-ins so if someone is wanting some quiet time in the Pool then I would advise you go during the week and skip the weekends. :wink:

In case of Black-out they have a Generator which services the Bar, Restaurant and Pool area. :thumbsup:

*EDIT: For those with Pets, "PETS ALLOWED"! :thumbsup:

We chose the Deluxe Room which is 80m2 and fully screened, it contained a LARGE COMFORTABLE Bed (King size I think?) and two smaller single beds, a Table and 4x chairs, a Sofa and Pay TV, a separate CR/Shower, the Air-con and ceiling fan also help take the sting out of the heat of the day (THANK YOU NORECO for the 11 hour black out on Sunday! :punch: Grr!!)

I would certainly go back again next Summer, but next time would choose days during the week to avoid the weekend rush. :smile:

I HOPE Mahogany Upland Resort will take the time to advertise on this Forum as I am sure MANY will no doubt read this thread... :wink:

DOUBLE EDIT:
    Just had the Owner's Nephew drop by and return 3200php which I had not noticed we were overcharged. HOW IS THAT for honesty and GREAT service! :thumbsup:

@Wrye Up to you if you lock or keep this thread open now mate, maybe others still have something to contribute for others coming to this great country... :wink:

Mahogany Upland Resort

Mahogany Upland Resort - UPDATED 2017 Guest house Reviews & Price Comparison (Dauin, Philippines) - TripAdvisor

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    You want a non-tourist place, we stayed a month at MarPas Apartments in Valencia two years ago, which has a great pool, about 1km from valencia square toward Forest Camp. Maria and Pascal are great hosts, got in a lot of exploring, from which we moved here a year later. Most of the people staying there either stay half year here, or temp places before moving here. Maid, laundry avail.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bdawg

Bdawg DI Member

Central Supply Technician.
    Ratings:
    +40 / 5
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I was actually impressed with Escosa's
    I know that this probably comes really late in response, but maybe it might help for the next time. I was really impressed with Escosa's Bar & Resort in Amlan. This place is really peaceful and the rooms are really nice and each one is different from the other. The room rates start at 1,450 php up to 1,800 php. They have a swimming pool, Bar and grill. It also has free cable tv and WiFi. However, we decided that our budget was dwindling fast, so we ended up staying with the family, and the weather was nice enough I didn't need Aircon. A fan we bought at Lee Hypermart worked just fine. We used our budget to buy food for the family instead, so, win-win.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1