Dumaguete Info Search

SRRV Visa

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tfa1957, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Is there anyone on this board who has usedthe SRRV Visa (retirement visa)? I've heard some storieson thefiasco of using this type of visa, but for me, it seems like the best road to take. I'm not a person who likes to fly, so going out of the country every year is not really an option I'd enjoy, plus it would take away money I'd want to use for visiting other areas of the Philippines. A Fiancee visa is also out of the question because I'm not a mormom, and my wife might frown on that (actually, she would turn me into a unic). So, for me, it seems though the retirement visa would be my best option, but I hope to hear other peoples views and if others have a better option, because the down side to a retirement visa is obviously the $20,000 U.S. dollars that is tied up.

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    If you're wife still has her Philippine citizenship (and if she doesn't - she can get it back fairly easily at the nearest Philippines embassy). Anyway, if she is still Filipino...you'll love this. SHE can sponsor YOU for an immigration visa - SEC 13(a). Bit of a role reversal :smile: Pretty much gives you everything the SRRV does without the cash deposit...Your Philippines embassy can give you details. There is a bit about it here:

http://immigration.gov.ph/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=37

I'm told this is really something you want to apply for from overseas rather than go thru the process in the Philippines. If done in the country they'll have you jumping thru hoops to get the visa, expensive hoops too. Much easier to do in your home country (ie US)

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Garbonzo,

My wife is Australian. The reason we chose the Philippines was due to how close it is to Australia, along with the cost of living. That way she can go home once a year and her family can come join us on the holidays. I guess that's why the SRRV seems to be the best fit for us. I think I still get to put the twenty thousand in an interest bearing account and it isn't like the bank is going to close it's doors. My biggest concern was not having access to it if an emergency arose and we had to leave quickly. I guess I'll just have to make sure I save some additional emergerny funds.

4. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Ooops...Tom, I should have read your other posts before I answered. Sorry mate...SRRV does look like your best option. We're retiring up there for the same reason...family on both sides of the pond, and of course my wife's family in the Philippines. Nice compromise for travel in both directions. We find Air Brunei very reasonable for travelling to Manila from Oz. Plus, as you'd likely know, plenty of beautiful places in the Philippines to visit and all of South-east Asia a short trip away. For your SRRV deposit...I'd suggest putting it in a major bank, ie BPI, PNB, Equitable, etc. Several smaller ones have bit the dust over the years. Deposit insurance isn't too wonderful and takes about three lifetimes to process a claim....Also, good idea to have an emergency fund available for medical needs that you can access quickly. Treatment is almost always paid up front, or at best you're held 'hostage' in hospital until they're paid. Pretty standard for much of the world. Anyway, good luck to you both...you'll be having quite an adventure! And you'll love it!

5. davis4121

davis4121 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tom & Jo,
    If I remember correctly from our previous communications, neither you nor Jo have actually lived in the Philippines, although you have lived in other parts of Asia.
    I would come here on a visitors visa until you have decided that you definitely want to stay in the Phils. Don't underestimate the culture shock, probably more so for Jo than you. (I say that, not knowing either of you, simply because women generally have a more difficult time with culture changes, than men do).
    Regards,
    Gary

6. OP
    OP
    tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Dave,

I agree that culture shock is often underestimated, and can be too difficult to overcome. Your idea of initially coming over on a visitor visa will be what we're going to do. Part of the reason for that has to do with what your saying about culture shock, and the other part of the reason is that we will arrive a couple months before I turn 50. I was concerned about Jo not adjusting initially, which is why I sometimes ask if there are other women in the area from the U.S. or Oz. Thats' not to say Jo can't adjust, but like you, I think it would help her transition. I also want to say that has nothing to do with Filipina women in general, it has more to do with having things in common initially until Jo adjusts. Anyone from Oz can readily agree that aussie women can make any changes in lifestyle, but I just want that to go as smoothly as possible for her.

7. OP
    OP
    tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Garb,

Where in Oz are you at? My wife is from Perth, although in her former life she lived in the mines for several years while her husband worked as an electrician until he passed away. Anyway, putting the funds in the larger more secure banks is the best option as you mentioned. How close are you to relocating/retiring?

8. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi Tom. We're in Perth, northern suburbs very near Joondalup. If your wife can adjust to life in WA mining towns....Philippines would be easy LOL...

We're not that close to retirement yet...my wife is doing nursing here in Perth and still has a year and a half of studies/work experience left. She wants to keep busy working at a local hospital in the Philippines when we move (do these Filipinas have an 'off' switch? LOL). Give a little something back to her homeland. She's been in a related field, carer/manager for an aged hostel for the Catholic Church for several years so the nursing program is going very well for her. Someday she'll be off to work at the hospital (hopefully in Dumaguete) while I'm off to the beach......I can handle that..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.