Dumaguete Info Search

Steve4910

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Steve4910, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

Greetings from America. My name is Steve and I'm very interested to move to Dumaguete city. My wife is from Dumaguete city and I will be moving in the family house. The good thing is that I have a big room waiting for us when we do finally arrive. Right now I'm just waiting for my social security disability to be approved which will be a legal battle I guess. After that is done I will sell my house and relocate for good. It looks like it will take me a year in half before that finally happens. Atleast that is my present goal. I have read a lot of comments that you have posted. You sound like a cool bunch of guys that would be fun to hang out with and drink. I visited Dumaguete 13 years ago only for a week and I liked it. I guess a lot has changed since then. I just wanted to ask 3 questions. 1. What hard to get items should I bring when I make that final move. 2. I know this is a hard question, but what is dam good SUV that I should buy brand new within the price range of $30,000 US dollars? I was thinking about a Hilux. 3. I wanted someones opinion if $1,300.00 US dollars is a good amount to live on monthly in Dumaguete? I will have some extra from the house sale so I can have a back up. I don't have to worry about rent since its my wifes room in the big house. Well anyway guys, take care and hope to meet you all soon. Steve4910

2. kewl:)

kewl:) DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $1,300 is too much for a local. Anyways it depends on how you spend it. But that amount of money is too much. For sure.

Cheers!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Hi Steve,

welcome to DI, 1.300 $ is a good amount to stay here AND visit places around the PI frequently in a very convenient way. (depending of the demanded support for the rest of the family)

What to bring is a often asked question and not easy to answer. some want appliances from back home others want a reliable toilet seat. (I would die for a quality garlic-press)

I arrived with my dive-gear and some T-Shirts 8 years ago and the only thing I send over was one of my guitars.

Whatever vehicle you want to buy, IMHO it would be important to ensure that spare parts are available in Duma, unless you wanna wait for weeks and month until they are shipped from another place.

cheers

Rhoody

4. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    You and your wife can live quite comfortably here on $1,300 per month.

Before you sink 30 grand into a new car, I would suggest you spend a little time here and check out the road conditions and consider where and how you will drive your car. Once you determine that, parts and service are to be considered as well as fuel efficiency because if you drive your SUV a lot it can cut into that comfortable lifestyle equation.

On what to bring: I would focus on electronics (keeping in mind that step-down transformers may be necessary for 110V devices). I find buying laptops, digital cameras, cell phones, cordless phones, etc to be less expensive and of better quality in the US than over here. Those items will save you the most money. Also, I would bring nice sheets and towels from the US...those found here are of inferior quality (and overpriced!). Rhoody is correct about kitchen appliances (blender, coffee/espresso maker, juicer, etc)...none of mine were purchased in the Philippines. I bought them in the US or when I was in Thailand. The issue with many things is that most of what is available is of very poor quality and breaks right away. Quality items can sometimes be found (although usually not here in Dumaguete) but then the prices are double or more those of the US for the same items. If you are a larger guy, you will want to stock up on underwear, shorts and pants as the clothes found here are cut for the Asian body style and is not likely to suit you. Finally, I would suggest you bring some of your favorite spices and seasonings (or seeds to grow them) as those may be difficult to find here.

5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Bring me a can opener which doesn't break after opening just three cans.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    haha... somehow I think about something different when YOU talk about can-opener. I really feel pity for you....

7. OP
    OP
    Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I am one of those large guys and will stock up on a lot of clothes from big and tall. I talked to my wife about buying laptop and desktop. Sometimes my wifes head gets big on buying products in the Philippines cause of that national pride. I fully agree with you guys on buying quality appliances ect. I know that my wife will want me to drive her all over creation since she still can't drive. I'm a big guy and I don't want to hear those trike guys complaining im too big hahaha!! My mobility with my legs are not too good anymore even at a young age of 40. I think I will check out the roads. I'm kinda leaning on buying a 4 door automatic pickup truck like the Hilux from Toyota. I think a big suv might be throwing money away. Do you guys know if there is a Toyota dealership in negros? My wife says I will probably have to special order a truck from Manila with automatic and have it shipped to Dumaguete. Well if I ever move there in a reasonable amount of time. I will look up on the can opener and the garlic press.

8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Rhoody, I feel pity for myself. :(

Hehe, maybe the trike driver would tell you...

"No trike ride. Soul brother too beaucoup."

Bonus points to the person who can name where the second part of that line came from. :wink:

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    that would be a Kubrick-movie, but won't give any detailed answer for just bonus points...

10. OP
    OP
    Steve4910

Steve4910 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Full Metal Jacket

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.