Dumaguete Info Search

Strawberry plantation in dumaguete?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by wiNkz, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    thinking on the number of trees you have planted during your vacation would more than cover your carbon footprint,. and also maybe in your next vacation you can bring EUropean fruit bearing trees that might survive in Valencia or cutflower.

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I always have that in mind,infact was able to get away with just a couple of ornamental plants in 2004,they never survived as grown by sea side.I know it was bypassing the legal system .I understand it's not good to bring in case the new species will come to dominate the natural enviroment causing ecosystem imbalance or bring in new plant diseases ,i see the possible drawbacks to it ,but it is so tempting . I would always love to have an orchard of oranges and lemons perhaps .But what is available in the nurseries within the citrus category are the Pumilo,mandarin, kalamansi which i also bought a few but they're only the grafted varieties available.I like to send over some seeds of sweet spanish oranges , sweet melon variety,spanish sweet peppers , fingers cross they'll survive in valencia, will be giving them to couple of locals I befriend with that help us with the land.We only had a tour around dumaguete plant nurseries,but maybe going to Cebu or somewhere high up like around Baguio perhaps there'll be more varieties available,only my guess.

3. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    thats the draw back only newt if the specie you bring would someday dominate, but just try to be very selective, like those nice flower, variations of tulips, carnations, etc. i guess they are selling seeds on packs for these nice flowers?

i suggest going to Davao if your wish to select additional varieties of fruit bearing trees and other plants, they got several nurseries there. i hope to bring sweet melon too, we have here 9 varieties of sweet melon.

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I have tried bringing some seed packs 4 yrs ago and did sow them,some did sprout like the Lobelia but then it just withered away due to heat,so as the petunias,frustrating .Howver i don't think they have well good suvival in the heat and humidity by the sea side .But the cuttings of geranium did actually survive for some weeks,however soon i left it died,no luck. Did bring the spider plant and still there now . I'll try those flowers in Valencia in the nr future , there might be hope .I know there where flowers like the Campions with silvery stems and leaves and with deep red flowers i found thriving in valencia,they r beautiful in gardens. They're grown here in west too .Wow you have astonishing 9 varieties of melons ,
    you can bring them and have them progated, great . It's nice to have more varieties of vege ,melons,fruits etc in Dgte market to choose from..

One thing in mind is to bring some herb seeds, like coriander,basil, parsley let people try .I like coriander leaves ,esp cooking in thai curry or any halang halang.But can't find anyone selling it in market .

5. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    We tried growing herbs in Dumaguete, it was not easy, finally got a few basel plants going, but then it was time to move so they got chopped.

The chef in Atlantis has a good herb garden going though, so maybe go see him :smile:

6. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi Dane!

How's life up north? Glad to see your still participating. !!

Cheers

WCH

7. panther

panther One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

hi i'm panther just join the forum.... this is a good site... that's is why i join......:smile:

8. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi panther, welcome to the forum. Yes, I do agree with you. It's a good reason to join. Enjoy the site. :smile:

9. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0

thanks for sharing DAne,

Panther, YOur warmly welcome here

10. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hey, this was new to me. Be sure that I will try to taste theese berries when i visit DGTE next year. Norway both producing and importing Strawberry during the year. But the taste of the imported (even the tourists agree to that) is not to be compared to the lokal ones. I know there is a lot of different types. But even among our own strawberrys there is some places where the most tasty ones are prodused.On a island near Bergen named "Askoy" and a place named "Hardanger" is making the most tasty ones.
    But sure to say I am impressed that Valencia are growing theese great tasty berries now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.