Dumaguete Info Search

Sumilon Island

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Travel Guide, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Sorry,I completely disagree with that.Siquijor isn't part of Mindanao.Siquijor is an island much closer to Dumaguete and Cebu.You're probably talking about another tiny island of Camiguin which is closer to the mainland Mindanao.Siquijor belongs to the political-geographic administration of region 7 group of islands in the Visayas consisting of Cebu,Oriental Negros,Bohol and Siquijor.Siquijor has an airport.Way back in 1995 few of our guests from England flew from Dumaguete to Siquijor in a small 6 sitter plane.It also has connections to Cebu and Manila.But for some reasons it stopped by then,perhaps gone bust and now the only connection to Siquijor is by ferry. But I all agree that it's nice if Siquijor would remain as it is and will not be inundated with tourists.Speaking of Camiguin,it's tiny lovely island having it's hot spring pools.It also has a few strings of nice restaurants ,one of the best I could remember was the Italian restaurant called Paradiso with its delicious steaks,but that was 13 year ago.

2. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The day trip fee at Sumilon is 1000.00 pesos

It's inclusive of Lunch and free use of the facilities (kayaks, snorkelling gear etc.)

I forgot if the boat transfer is free. If it is, I recall someone telling me that the pick up point is at Liloan. From Dumaguete you need to go to Sibulan and take a 30 minute boat ride to Liloan.

I was with a big group so we rented a boat from Sibulan to Sumilon. We paid around 2000.

The overnight fee is at 5,000 pesos. Inclusive of all the meals.

3. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Sumilon Island

Hellllo, excuse me. I am originally from Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. I must
    make a correction on your posting that Siquijor is part of Mindanao. No Siquijor is not part of Mindanao. In fact, it used to be part of Negros Oriental. The rest you have to make your own research why they separated from Negros Oriental. You, probably, are a foreigner, so you are excused.

4. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Trip to Sumilon

What would the price of a trip like that be?

Say 4 - 10 people going?

I will probably rough it the first trip over there just to report on how to get there and such, but good to have a reference for next trip :smile:

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hi Dane,
    the easiest is to hire a private boat if it is about going there. It always comes down to what do expect from this trip. As you can imagine the place i am working at is not the priciest. I do not place prices on puplic forums, cause m expierience is that discussions drifting in a wrong direction then and go completely off topic. by the way Atlantis is missing on your list of diveshops...

6. The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    List of Dumaguete Dive Centers

Hi Rhoody,

The list of dive centers is very basic and only up there as filler right now, I added Atlantis on the list though. The list of Dumaguete dive centers will transform in to a whole new section soon, with pictures and descriptions of each dive center. This site is still very new :smile: so we have a LOT of work in front of us.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    HI Dane,
    i think you re doing a great work, that's why i always look on the site and write some comments.... if usefull or not.... hehe.. like my next:
    sh*t i rented a motorbike yesterday, cause i wanted to go to wht not tonight (Frontpage-Band) and now it's raining cat's and dog's.... S@#%-weather

cheers
    Rudi

8. The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Why Not Disco

You should have told us you wanted to go in to Why Not Disco last night, we drove right past your place on the way in there last night :smile: We spent too much time in Coco Amigos again and missed the band, but we got to Why Not Disco around midnight and it was still ok goin'

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    cheers Dane.... next time na lang

10. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    we used charter a pumpboat to go to sumilan from liloan village all the time and took lots of kids from the village- 10 peso per head to oslob municipality
    ...now that bluewater has opened up they try to charge a 500 peso tourist rate and we have to negotiate a price - usually 150 for a diver and a couple hundred for the non divers ( a few tourists and some of our staff - we gave up on the fun day for the kids due to bluewaters new policies - and we are limited to the sand bar - cant explore the island anymore- bluewater does not own the island - they lease the land their resort is on - not the whole island -and I dont think they have the authority to try and charge every visitor who comes - i dont mind paying a small fee to oslob municipality but i am upset by bluewater's new policies
    the island itself was a sanctuary (run by silliman U) until the early 90's - oslob took it and allowed a resort to open but did not enforce the fishing ban - all the shallow water corals were destroyed in 1 year of dynamite and i have watched them come back slowly - 20 meter and deeper were largely unaffected- it is a good dive spot with a nice wall on the south side (marked by bouys - the best place to snorkel if there isnt a bad current- there are schools of reef fish, some larger fish, turtles and the occasional whitetip , but dealing with the bluewater staff every time i try to dive there is a hassle. any suggestions on where to go to get the policies spelled out on paper so i dont have to go through the hassles???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.