Dumaguete Info Search

Tagbilaran City - Bohol's Tourism Gateway

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by Travel Guide, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Guide

Travel Guide DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Tagbilaran City is the tourism gateway of Bohol Province. Tourists can lodge in the first class hotels and resorts of Tagbilaran City as they tour the beauty of nature especially the Chocolate Hills in Bohol Province.

Bohol Province is considered as an island paradise province of the Philippines. Tagbilaran City, the capital of Bohol Province, is located 72 kilometers south of Cebu City and 630 kilometers southeast of Manila, Philippines. Tagbilaran City has a land area of 3,270 hectares that lies on the southwestern part of Bohol Province.

Tagbilaran City is an elongated strip on Bohol Province with two mountains on both ends. On the south is Banat-i and on the north is Elley Hill. Tagbilaran City is composed of 15 barangays. Commerce and trade are only concentrated on four urban barangays where 41% of the city's population reside.

Tagbilaran City means to "hide from the Moros". The word is derived from Tagubilaan, a combination of two local terms. The term Tagu means "to hide" and Bilaan refers to the Moros, a Muslin marauder tribe in Bohol Province.

Governor-General Gaspar dela Torre decreed to establish San Jose de Tagbilaran as a separate town from Baclayon on February 9, 1742. It became a part of Bohol Province. Tagbilaran became a chartered city on July 1, 1966 through Republic Act No. 4660.

Tagbilaran City is a coastal city but the Island of Panglao protects the city from the southwest monsoon and the Maribojoc mountain range from the north wind.

Tagbilaran City has a lot to offer when it comes to tourist attractions. Various beautiful scenic spots are scattered around Tagbilaran City and the whole Bohol Province. Tagbilaran City has become the haven for national conventions due to several high-class resorts, hotels, and restaurants all over the city.

Bohol Province is famous because of its Chocolate Hills. The Tarsier, the world's smallest primate, is a great tourist attraction in Bohol Province. There are also white beaches, great dive spots, old stone churches, and heritage sites to visit and explore in Bohol Province.

The Department of Tourism identified Bohol Province as one of the five Eco-Tourism destinations in the Philippines, where Tagbilaran City is located. The Philippines' top tourist destination nowadays is Bohol Province.

Bohol Province is a good example of being a "Fiesta Island". The Sandugo Festival is a month-long celebration in Bohol Province that happens every July 1 to 22 yearly. The word "Sandugo" literally means "One Blood". This is in commemoration of the blood compact done in 1565 between Captain General Miguel Lopez de Legaspi and Datu Sikatuna as a covenant of friendship. Other annual month-long celebrations of the island also happen every May.

Tagbilaran City serves as the gateway of Bohol Province and also as a service center to the tourism industry of the province. The city has improved its peace and order situation that boosted tourist arrivals in Bohol Province.

2. bbramon

bbramon One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I guess its time for me to get international! Yeah friends all the while I have been busy traveling places within my country but of late I have started collecting information about the other international places of interest and amongst the few I have sorted out the one mentioned here certainly does propels me to make a trip. With the availability of hotels and resorts the stay should not be a problem. Can you please specify if the place remains crowded during a certain period of the year? So that I can plan my trip accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.