Dumaguete Info Search

Taking 50Hz power tools - will they work?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by silabay, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silabay

silabay DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I am moving to Dumaguete next month and want to know if it is worth taking my power tools over. I am presently in Australia and we use 240VAC and 50Hz frequency.

As the Philippines are 220VAC and 60Hz will my equipment work OK over there? Has anyone had experience with this problem?

Cheers Al

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    50 Hz tools work in the Philippines but they run more fast.
    For occasional use this is fine.
    If you want to use it extensively it may be a problem because this tools become hot very quickly and will burn if you don't pay attention.
    One advise, don't let local carpenters use these machines.
    Any electrical device with a timer will run 20 % faster than what you expect.

3. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    To the OP:

You have received excellent advice concerning the speed at which the tools you propose to bring will operate. Items electric are regulated by Ohm's Law which describes the relationship between voltage, amperage and wattage.

There is one higher law to which everything, especially inanimate objects are subject. That is Murphy's Law: anything which can go wrong - will.

In the Philippines, Murphy's Law is supreme. There is no appeal from it!

If it is electric - dispose of it and buy anew.

4. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Power tools are mostly better resistant for a higher frequency.
    Drilling machine, planer, electric saw .... I use them here on 60 Hz and I have not yet had defects related to the higher frequency here.
    But indeed .....don't use it that intensive (read: long at high power) as it will sooner get warm so earlier burned (if not automatic protected).
    But the small little pump of my expensive washing machine did protest already after 2 times using !!!
    After several tries to repair it (exchanging with another type of motor with however other specs) I had to bring my expensive machine to the dump.

5. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Your 50hz tools should not have a problem here. The biggest danger is using a lower frequency than the device is rated for. With inductive circuits, under-frequency causes over-current.
    Low line voltage, power spikes and crummy power factor would most likely have more of an adverse affect.

Bring a voltage regulator that will handle the power requirements of your tools and all should end well.

M

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    We shipped (company paid - otherwise I wouldn't have bothered) our appliances, power tools, etc from 220v 60hz Saudi Arabia to 240v 50hz Oz which is the opposite direction from what you're doing. Almost everything burned out fairly quickly - most within a few uses - probably due to the impedance issue Manzanita mentioned. The washing machine was spectacular - filled the house with smoke. The only survivor has been a Moulinex food processor that refuses to die. Don't think I'd take anything with an electric motor to the Philippines with any confidence....I'd suggest flogging the tools here in Oz and replacing them in the Philippines.

7. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Todays tip:
    If you ever plan to use a power tool again, never loan it to a Philippino Brother in Law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.