Dumaguete Info Search

The family of a Belgian national who was found dead

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Teacher, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I just got this in an Email.. thought I would share this after what happened to the reverend.

By Raquel Bernal-Crisostomo, ABS-CBN Europe News Bureau | 07/24/2009 12:06 PM
    The family of a Belgian national who was found dead inside his home in Dumaguete City two years ago suspected that his wife had a hand in the crime.

"When my brother gave me his last phone call on a Sunday, he told me he was going to sell the area behind his house and Fhe, his wife shall only get 30% of the payment," Luc Verjans said.

His brother, Patrick, was found dead in his Barangay Talay home in April 2007. The decomposing body of the 58-year old Verjans sustained stab wounds at the back.

Police investigation showed that there was no sign of forced entry found in the house but confirmed that the Belgian's digital camera, wristwatch, flat-screen computer, laptops, DVD and media player were all missing.

Luc claimed to have spoken to his brother two days prior to his gruesome death.

"Patrick told me that should anything happen to him, Fhe (Juego) has something to do with it," Luc said.

Luc even shared with ABS-CBN Europe News Bureau that Patrick and Juego have been separated for years. Patrick apparently discovered months after they settled in the Philippines that prior to their marriage, his wife was married to another man in Dumaguete.

The Verjans' family suspects that Juego, together with her chauffeur and Patrick's gardener, planned the crime.

"I truly hope that Fhe is not involved but all the indications I got from the time that Patrick was still in the Philippines, she was pretty much lying. The investigation conducted by the policemen also stated that Fhe has something to do with it," he said.

The Verjans stayed in Belgium for fear of suffering the same fate as Patrick if they pursue the case in the Philippines. They decided to leave everything in the hands of the investigators in charge. However, they complained of the case's slow progress and that the suspects are still at large.

Luc even claimed that at the time of the initial investigation, the suspects were nowhere to be found. But he received reports that the chauffeur and the gardener are now living in Patrick's house.

He made it clear that they are not after Patrick's properties in Dumaguete. They only want justice for his brother. They hope those responsible for Patrick's death rot in jail.

2. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Somewhat alarmist, non?

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What is Fhe, how can a foreigner own land :confused:

4. OP
    OP
    Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I think

The land was in his ex-wife's name that is why she was going to get 30%..

Shoot I live in Mindanao never an alarmist but something to think about..

5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Keep your guard up teach, and have a safe journey back to paradise. :smile:

6. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    more than likely it was a lease in his name and since divorced his decision what he thinks she is entitled to

7. AntiX

AntiX DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't think it's alarmist to share this kind of info. Once again, we don't know what actually happened other than someone was murdered.
    Perhaps it's a good idea for single men going to the Philippines to find that "perfect wife" to have a "reality check". It's been said before and it will be said again. When that pretty, young Filipina pays excessive attention to an gray, balding, overweight, middle-aged foreigner, red flags should go up everywhere.

8. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Like I always say if you get married here the ideal wife is an orphan

9. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It pays not to rush into the marriage thing. Have some background checks first, see if there are relatives who are prone to committing something like that. I mean, know the entire family fully first before jumping into the pool.

10. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Surely Rarity54f is not serious. If such advice was taken to heart, no-one would ever get married! In that case, bikerdave would be right.

It'll be a great day for orphans.