Dumaguete Info Search

Tipping

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Edward K, Nov 19, 2016.

1. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If I were to buy size shoes I don't want the left shoe and have to wait 20 minutes for the right shoe, yet this is what happens sometimes when you order food. Service here is unpredictable depending where you eat. If you eat at a restaurant which mostly caters for Filipinos, then you will get Filipino style service, as those customers have grown up with poor service and are non the wiser. If on the other hand you go to a restaurant which caters for richer Filipinos and Foreigners, then you should expect reasonable service. I never rant or rave about poor service, and usually leave it up to the wife. If the staff are untrained, it is not their fault and so will not penalise them, if they have tried their best. I usually tip 10% maximum 50 pesos if the waiting staff have tried their best and leave it up to the wife if the staff have spent all night chatting or texting and ignoring the customers. When I'm at home I say nothing if the service is slow, otherwise I will be wearing the meal or cooking it myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Well of Course KC to them it IS normal Service it is to us that it is Poor Service

3. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    A relative who works for coca cola one time told me about her day. She said she was able to "iron out her mistake" with a customer (Filipino). "But you can never do that to a foreigner," she added. For me, it wasn't a mistake but a poor performance and when I asked her if she would behave the same way as a foreigner does if put in the same situation, she said yes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Unfortunately the bad customers do a lot of damage just because they are so loud and obnoxious and draw much more attention. I've seen plenty of mental midgets that act like complete twats (mostly expats with a few out of touch spoiled *sshole locals sprinkled in the mix) who think the world owes them something but the vast majority of people act like civilized people when out in public. However, the Philippines (and Asia in general) seems to be really be attractive to low life scum from the West for some reason. The ratio of assclowns to civilized folk does seem a bit out of whack at times.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    "Never" is a strong word. Some of us expats understand that people have bad days, make honest mistakes, someone else failed at their job and it is not the server's fault, management is incompetent or that "sh*t just happens". Most of us do have a filter between our mouths and the Twatty McTwaterson part of our brains. When I see or receive bad service I almost never blame the staff, it is a reflection on their chain of command.

Note: I have heard many owners/managers blame the local culture for the bad service but that bad service almost always happens when they aren't around....and if the owner/management doesn't give enough of a sh*t to be there (almost) every day during operating hours then they shouldn't expect their employees to give a sh*t either. Worthless owners/management = worthless business/service.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I am noticing more and more in Shops, Especially Cash & Carries; Traders, Conchitas etc signs by the POS machines (Tills) signs saying, please do NOT Tip the Staff.
    One in particular I saw last Week was in the Shop on Perdices Street where my wife gets her hair Colour from, it read;
    * We offer a Free Facial maker with Goods bought here.
    We like Kind Words, good Communication & Thank You's but
    Please refrain from giving Gratuities, our Staff are on Salaries*
    Well it went something like that from memory
    Not sure if LP or any of the other Larger Stores have any signs but according to my neighbour who is a Supervisor at LP, Staff should have No money on their Person on the Shop Floor so I guess it will be the same thing, Please don't tip the Staff.
    When we went to pick the car up, the Staff refused any cash for Good Service but Readily accepted our Offering of Snacks Provided for them
    Just my 10c for this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  7. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Plantation Bay bellhop does not accept tips though we didn't see any sign saying no tipping. Sometimes tips could be a pain to the staff (at least where I am now where tipping is not encouraged). The staff will make a written report and the tip/gift is labelled "left behind by the customer". It's an extra work actually.

8. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    She must be refering to business owner customers wherein delays in delivery of the product and clerical mistakes causing them to be more pissed off than direct customers.

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It still isn't the fault of the person answering the phone or directly dealing with customers (business's owners are still customers to someone)...unless keeping stock is also part of their job. My question would then be, who trained her to do her job and is doing quality control. That is who should be to blame. I understand that some employees just suck at their job and can't be trained. If that is the case the employee should be fired as they will do nothing but bring the company down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I have heard it said that a company is only as good as it's last sale and Equally as Bad as the Last Complaint :bag:
    A days Good sales of say 300 Items can be ruined by just one Complaint is what I mean.:wink: