Dumaguete Info Search

Tipping

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Edward K, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    That's the first bellhop I have ever known who does not. But it reminds me, in Philippines when I leave a tip for the room cleaners I also leave a note to say how much I am leaving and who it is for. This is so the cleaner is not accused of stealing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sad but true.

3. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That's a good idea! Sometimes I think hard where to hide the money for the chambermaid. Yikes, I know I sound like a b*tch thinking the staff who will check the room during check out might take it. :tongue:

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    According to people I know It happens bad, BAD I say

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't think it is fair to expect perfection as a customer - humans are incapable of such - but it is something that management should strive for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I only have seen this really at real big places. Places like LP its gotten people fired and not because they accepted a tip. LP and various other places staff are required to keep their pockets and such empty of money and phones and when they go to the CR or where their personal stuff is kept they go through security guards that pat them down. Issue is some customers say *I lost my wallet, I had xy peso's in my pocket that vanished, my phone was snatched when my head was turned (turned by some pretty cute thing walking past likely). The store claims of course they aren't responsible but also want to make sure no employee's are stealing from customers hence employee's are searched. An employee isn't trusted saying *it was a tip* when it could have been stolen or swiped from the business or customers and how is the employer to know.

With this I've before wondered at Robinson's where they don't take tips if the guys help you carry big stuff out from the appliance center for instance you can tip them and they generally take it. It makes me wonder if as they are coming back in do they simply inform the manager of said service tip or is it just that Robinsons isn't strict like LP/Hypermart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I try to tip the chambermaid every 2nd day or so during my stay at a hotel (provided the level of cleaning is at least reasonable). It tends to promote better room maintenance while I am still staying there and keeps them guessing whether there will be a tip today or not. Tipping on checkout is OK but does nothing to improve performance :-)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Early in my Dumaguete experience I stocked up on some groceries in the supermarket at Lee Plaza. The "bag boy" carefully boxed up my items and rolled them on a hand cart out to the street where he flagged down a tricycle for me. I pulled out some pesos to tip him and when I tried to hand it to him he backed away with his hands up and his head shaking "NO!" I guess they are forbidden by their employer from accepting tips, or maybe it was just my charming demeanor (NOT!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Bringing this thread up again as I switched from a motorcycle to a car and that changes things.

I always left 5 pesos to the parking attendant who looked after my motorcycle as that is his job. Its called peso-peso parking as only 2 pesos is required by city ordinance to pay the parking attendant. He is licensed and has a designated area to supervise. But I paid 5 pesos as do most foreigners. I do not suppose anyone will chase you down the street if you "stiff the guy" out of his 2 pesos but my question is about cars:

When parking a car where there is a parking attendant, what is the designated fee in Dumaguete and what do most foreigners actually give?

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    We give the same 5 peso as I do not think that the designated fee is that well defined, just the Fee for the Attendant If the Guy is good (And there are quite a few Good Ones) and really keeps his attention to the Job, we give 10 peso

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1