Dumaguete Info Search

Top 10 in the World? In Dreamworld!

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by ZambeziKid, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    scorings for Apo Island diving

Back indeed to the topic:
    Apo Island- Top 10 in the world ?
    Could I ask all divers who made some dives there (at least at 4 different places, is my own idea) to give it a score ?
    I believe a score alone (total appreciation) does not represent sufficiently where Apo Island is positioned between other world known dive sites because a high or low score can have been the result of only a very specific personal interest (like 'Wreckdiving'; There is NONE at Apo Island).
    So as a proposal:
    A) -Diversity of species (scale 1-10; 10 being the highest appreciation)
    B) -Healthyness of corals ( ,, ,, ,, )
    C) -Effects of protective actions wrt the underwater ambience (,, ,, ,,)
    D) -Which other dive locations you visited do you rank higher ?
    Note:mention only small specific area ,like Apo Island is.
    So no hugh area like e.g. Great Barrier Reef or Carribean !
    Give the name of those places/islands/locations).
    I'm in for better suggestions, but my main reason for this suggestion is to really get an idea from experienced divers (the ones who are able to compare with many other dive sites in the world) how they rank Apo Island in their personal experience-list.

For me as a start (to make my proposal clear) should rank as follow:

A) -8
    B) -7
    C) -7
    D) -1999; Biak (Island of Irian Jaya/ Papua New Guinea)
    -2002; Manado (Sulawesi- Indonesia)
    -2005; Apo Reef (Mindoro- the Philippines)
    -1992; Sipadan (Saba - Borneo, Malaysia)
    -1997; Rethi Rah (Maldives)
    -1982/1999; Sharm El Sheik (Red Sea, Egypt)
    -2007; Pescador Island (Bohol, the Philippines)

No comments on each others findings, because a score is very personal and it can differ from year to year in which those dives were made (nature changes as we know !).
    But it could give at least a global idea of the ranking for Apo Island and the other places on the earth which seem to be better in the eyes of experienced divers.

Whow...let's see what this suggestion is causing for reactions :smile: :wink:

2. World Wide Diver

World Wide Diver DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apo Island:

A) Diversity of species - 5 out of 10
    B) Corals - 9/10 out of 10
    C) 10 for coral protection, 4/5 for protecting pelagic life
    D) Richleau rock for big pelagics and good macro, Palau for big stuff, Manado for biodiversity and excellent corals/pelagics mixed (Apo has better corals though).

Dauin

A) diversity of species - 7/8 out of 10
    B) corals - 3 out of 10 (though good what there is)
    C) 10 for coral protection
    D) as before

3. World Wide Diver

World Wide Diver DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, apologies Rhoody. Mistake on my side for misposting. I did not intentionally try to disrespect what you guys are doing there. Sorry.

I really consider Apo/Dumaguete to be the premier place for diving in the PI and regret bringing politics into this.

4. Gold Surfer

Gold Surfer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's my 2 cents to get people's awareness about protecting the marine sanctuaries in Apo Island. Ya'll can start in Dauin, hopefully my future residence lol.

Why not start a " Save Apo Island Festival " which will include competition of fish floats, concerts, parades and sea food extravaganza from fish vendors just like Malatapays?

Filipinos love festivities and it's a good start to involve the whole town and be known later on as a local " tourist destination ". Also, it can generate extra income for the city.

5. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apo Isl. Top 10 Dive Site in Philippines ... more like it !!!

DI`ers , Cogon and Olo are the best sites on Apo Isl. , especially when the current is running . Verde Island tops my list . I haven`t been to Tubatatha ( Yet ! )... Liminsawa Isl . ( ??? So. Leyte , Peters Dive Shop ) was nice . Baliacasag Isl. off of Alona Beach , Bohol was ( is ) best consistant dive . I dove Apo Reef ( only 2 dives ) and except for the hard corals and clarity ... I thought it was totally over rated . Moalboal is nice and Malapascua has a few nice dives. Apo is NOT top 10 in the world !!! That is just absurd ! Top ten in RP ( 6 - 7 ) is more like it . :cool:

6. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    10 for coral
    but way too low on big fish and quantity of fish due to overfishing as is the case all over the Philippines due to overpopulation

7. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    interesting thread, although I do not have a clue why people took a swing at eachother, the thread tittle was a bit provocative but in a way the customer is always right even if it is just perception.

Always wonder why so often in the Philipines if the customer is not happy he should p*ss of to his own country? Tourism in Filipines is struggling and really not doing that great in comparisment to other countries, often the cause is shortsightness and lack of real commitment of the goverment to make it one of the best and milk the cow dry rather than take care of it and ensure he will produce more.

If you have a top10 divespot in your country it should be a matter of national interest to make d*mn sure its quality is ensured and money made of it should be used localy to improve (there is loads of spin off anyhow).

People should understand that shooting the customer does not attract many others, I do know that people localy do work their butt of to protect and improve their industry so I feel that is unfair criticism towards the diving community. Well never nice if outsiders are critical but it is your country and so your responsibilty to make something out of it, if you don't there are thousands of other places for people to spend their money, Philipines does not have a monopoly on anything and it is hard work to compete in this global market.

well just my two cents on the matter

8. Travellingman

Travellingman DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I went to Apo and was amazed to hear that up to 1000 people live on the island without fresh water or electricity..I must presume their diet is mainly fish life as there certainly isn't any farming so this would explain the lack of fish!
    I did enjoy the drift dive from Cogon/Mamsa but was disturbed to see a large fish trap sitting right next to a very nice table coral and wonder if they destroyed the coral when removing the trap.
    Unfortunately there are not many fish left around the Philippines because the country is overpopulated and fish is the main part of the local population's diet... especially on Panglao for instance.
    I think I would rate Balicasag above Apo Island as it seems more protected although way more divers go there from Alona Beach and other places.
    I have also been to Sumilon Island where they charge P500 extra to dive with a camera for some reason! Perhaps they think we all work for National Geographic and are going to sell our pictures.
    Of all the places I have dived in the Philippines I guess Tubbataha takes the biscuit..I haven't dived Apo Reef which is also supposed to be rated.
    I need to add I haven't dived all the sites yet on Apo Island so hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised!

9. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Haven't gone there...

10. hawaiidiver2

hawaiidiver2 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the 2 years since this original posting/thread, has any improvements happened in Apo regarding conservation, regulating fishing, etc? I group from my local dive shop is heading there in April 2011.....they have never been to the Philippines....so I'd like to brief them a bit. They are the 5 star hotel types and typically do not care(unfortunately) a lot about experiencing the local culture......."take me to the resort, feed me American style food, take me diving, take me to the airport so I can go home".....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.