Dumaguete Info Search

Top 10 in the World? In Dreamworld!

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by ZambeziKid, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travellingman

Travellingman DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Apo Island

I don't believe anything has been done to further protect the island and am sure the population is getting larger with more kids.
    It is unfortunate that the local government does not recognize the benefit of saving this beautiful asset for future generations.
    I think the Malaysians got it right when they vacated Sipadan New Year's day 2005..I wonder if that island has recovered somewhat since then.
    Having said this it is still fairly decent diving with nice corals but very few large fish.
    Have a great time.

2. hawaiidiver2

hawaiidiver2 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was on Sipadan in 1996 and could see where the 3 small dive operations would soon ruin that place. We had rats in out rooms at night eating our bars of soap. Malapascua Island might be a good preview of what to expect on Apo. It is about 2.5 times the size of Apo and has 3000 people(1000 of which are children). I was there in January this year. They had a 4 hour electricity "window" until Nov 2009 and now they have 24 hour power. I was there in early 2009 when they had limited power and to see how 24 hr electricity has changed a place is amazing. TV's and stereos were blasting, fewer kids were hanging out, computers at the schools, people using air conditioners, and the new idea of long term storage of perishable food had arrived.

As far as the diving on Apo.......I'm getting the feeling that "fairly decent" should be my expectation rather than world class........but then, every day is different in the ocean. Some days here is "crap" in Hawaii, but then those days when you see a hump back whale underwater, dolphins on the surface, and a manta ray swimming by, makes one think "world class".

3. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I am not aware of any recent change in the regulations at Apo Island.
    But you are never sure what's going on here so I am a bit carefull to say "nothing HAS changed".
    There has bees said so much in this thread about the ranking of Apo Island as 'top dive site' in the world.
    It's good diving there and also at other places here.
    It's like you said yourself: If you had a dive with (for YOU) special encounters than a dive site is climbing sky high suddenly in your rating :wink:
    Let them come and taste. It is certainly a good place to dive (that's why I came to live here). I hope your friends will behave well.
    Sipadan also (I was there 1992) had been damaged severely. When I was diving there I heard the dynamite fishing during one of my dives.
    It was a gorgeous place but many dead coral at several places.
    Thanks they have improved their control system.

4. Travellingman

Travellingman DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    that would be Atlantis, they are very experienced catering American Groups since years.

Pura Vida (Sea Explorers) is a nice resort but the food simply bad. Sad that Chris (owner) just does not get his kitchen sorted as all other departments of Pura Vida are really good.

I had 2 Apo trips this week and on both trips at Mamsa 2 huge schools with thousands of Jacks. One smaller one at Coconut point.

But this are also divesites you can not go with inexperienced diver, so maybe some of your friends group where not capable for that, therefore the diveshop decided to dive other sites like Chapel, the Sanctuary or Rock Point.

6. Travellingman

Travellingman DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey Rhoody nice to hear from you..long time. Glad to hear the fish are there!

7. hawaiidiver2

hawaiidiver2 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ....I think this thread confirms that any experienced diver will realize the ocean changes daily offering up surprises all the time. Trying to establish a "ranking" for dive destinations is like trying to heard cats.....very difficult. Peoples' opinions will always vary. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder......or is it in the eyes of the "beer holder"?

Thanks for everyone weighing in on my original question.

8. ilovedum

ilovedum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a new member here. Hi everyone. I have had the wonderful opportunity to dive in many places in the Philippines including live aboards as well as around the World. The diving in the Philippines can be spectacular if you love beautiful soft corals and macro life and fortunately the santuaries have preserved this for us divers. A photographers dream. On the other hand it can be very mediocre if you prefer the company of large fish in general. I know there will be members with other viewpoints but diving even off Florida's South East Coast can be much more gratifying again depending on what you are looking for. So it can be a 10 for some and a 2 for another. Depends on what you are looking for and it is important to research this before you come or you might become dissapointed. Personally, I would not make a special trip to the Philippines just for the diving except maybe Tubbataha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.