Dumaguete Info Search

Top 10 in the World? In Dreamworld!

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by ZambeziKid, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The numbers written there are from one proposed national marine park. So you are comparing one small area in Indonesia with the whole of the Philippines.

Again, I'll repeat it's easy to make unsupported claims - Yeah, like I can say Napoli are the best soccer team in the world - but where is the authoratative evidence to support your claims? For example - Wow Philippines quotes 500 coral species in Philippines. Irian Jaya alone has 537 and counting. Bandying numbers around from websites that know nothing doesn't really mean anything.

I don't dispute that Philippines has rich marine diversity, but I do dispute it is THE richest without evidence. I also question the significance because Philippines lacks concentrations of species. For example, at many places in Indo, when you look at bubble corals and whip corals, you'll always commensal shrimps, orang-utan crabs and gobies on almost every one of them. These may exist in Philippines too, but I never see them!

2. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Rhoody, apart from possibly one or two that I mentined, each of the destinations I mentioned above is much larger than the Apo Island/Dauin area. None of the areas mentioned above are dive sites, they are all destinations.

As one example. I listed Bali once, but I could justifiably list it 4 times, since to drive around 3 of them would take about 8 hours, and one of the areas is a group of islands off the east coast of Bali! - it's like listing Cebu as one dive destination.

3. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Fishermen are the same eveywhere in the world. There is always a 'battle' between their wishes and those of conservation groups and divers.

There are many proven successful marine protected areas around the world, and those in poor areas always show certain characteristics. It requires action, planning, dedication, organisation, money and hard work. The local dive community must get organised into an association, lead preferably by local Philippino dive operators (for respect and credibility). Then they need to involve and work with the local fishing communities.

I've heard from a couple of different sources that the local fishers did buy-in ot the park at first, but they see none of the park fees as they are all kept by the Govt in Manila. Well clearly that state of affairs will not work. Conservation must be in the fishers financial interests. Why not just stop collecting the P 300 Govt park fee and introduce an autonomous fee agreed between the fishers and dive commuity? Then this money can go into the local communities, and into job creation for the ex-fishermen, such as reef patrols etc. It's the only way to win, involve them in the solution and give them a better life.

4. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Jellyfish, That's quite right, but the effort MUST come from the diving community. After all, they are the ones that understand what they are about to lose if the fishers continue to have their way, and they are also the ones that stand to lose financially. I have written much more on this in a slightly earlier post in this thread a little earlier today (don't wanna repeat myself here), so perhaps you can have a read and respond to that?

... so many comments here, I'm going crazy! ...

5. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Blackline, I agree that diversity is an important factor, but why restrict yourself to one factor? There are many equally important factors that are not subjective, such as fish concentrations, currents, etc (listed loads previously).

If you were a soccer manager and looking to buy a new striker, would you just look for say a tall striker? or a quick strker? Or one that scores lots of goals? There are many factors that would (should) go into your selection. Yeah, scoring goals maybe the most important factor when you first consider it, but what if he doesn't suit your style of play? :wink:

6. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I apologize to all other readers for my language used here under !!

Thank you Blackline.. You are more to welcome to talk matters once you are here ! For "the Kid , The Apogon type you are refering to is indeed ONE !!!! kind of fish that is endemic to Indonesia... However untill it will be discovererd here ,that will stand only.......I even though putting it into my original comment yesterday , but I realized that you would bring up this fish as your deffence and so.. I was right.. Can you list me ,lets say some 25 species of other fish perhaps..I will then answer you with the exact location in the philipines the fish can be fund in plentyfull !! I will compensate you with some few HUNDREDS from the Phils....Don,t forget I have been around some say over 34 years now...And lake Malawi my dear . that is freshwater dii ba..AND THAT COUNTS FOR CHICLIDS O N L Y !! the rest the lake has NOTHING ELSE TO OFFER !! If you try to outsmart me by the use of the INTERNET but don,t know a sh*t about fish.. don,t get into a confilct you never are going to win..Beside that Xingu river and other streams of the Amazone have more to offer..EVERY MONTH a dozen or so NEW species of Corydoras is found... Ever heared about Dr. Willy Swartz or his Son Adolph Swartz..I have worked for then several years ,KID.. Ever been to the Pantanal in Brasil ?? The Choco River in Surinam perhaps ?? Both surpass Lake Malawi ...
    Keep in mind that you have been ONLY to divespots here in the Phils where EVERYBODY goes.. But not at thoses place(s) I refer to , and there are many many more... Ever been to QUEZON Riau ? Polilio Island perhaps. Maranduque ? Ever come acoross a Chaetodon burgessi or Mirolabrichtys lorii in Indonesia.. How about Centropyge loricula ( formerly Loricullus) It is found in Rongelong and Rongelap ( Dr. O.K. Davis) and a subspecies in Christmas Island. Even more rare deepwater mutation without black lines in Oahu / Hawaii. You will find it however at Surigao in quantities... Cemtropoyge multifasciatus perhaps in Indonesia ?? Ofcourse not . only from Marinduque ..Hoplolatilus purpureus or Hoplolatilus chlupathy ?? H. starcki perhaps how about H. marcosi ( after Ferdi Marcos)...FAT CHANCE !!
    A Pseudochromis diadema maybe .? O no ,sorry that is to be found around CEBU ISLAND lang !! Even the " endemic "Acanthurs achilles from Kona ( Hawaii) is yep at LUBANG...and plentyfull...Same for the Centropyge potterii that occurs "only "at Ohau ( Hawaii) well .. its here...I have been sending speciments to both Honolulu and Smthsonian Museum in the USA ...
    If you seek for solid proof , contact the Bischop Museum in Honolulu I suggest. Say hi from Earl if you please..Perhaps they will also explain you the WHY it is NOT on the internet... It might just be a very very GOOD REASON......
    ANY CHALLENCE you wish to beat me with I will honour......!!! But if you can.t stand the heath anylonger .. stay out of MY KITCHEN...

PICTURES are of NANO FISH thus somewhat 2.5 CM and even smaller up to 1 CM ! in size only.They are by Courtesy and shot at Okinawa .. but can be found in nearby CEBU WATERS.. BET THAT RHOODY KNOWS THEM ALL !!!!!!

For those who care....INTERNET SITES are very UNRELIABLE.. There is one "stationed" at Cebu.. absolute SMASHING pictures of two Belgium guys .. highly professional and yet.. lots of errors too......

Attached Files:

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I apologize to all other readers for my language used here under !!

Thank you Blackline.. You are more to welcome to talk matters once you are here ! For "the Kid , The Apogon type you are refering to is indeed ONE !!!! kind of fish that is endemic to Indonesia... However untill it will be discovererd here ,that will stand only.......I even though putting it into my original comment yesterday , but I realized that you would bring up this fish as your deffence and so.. I was right.. Can you list me ,lets say some 25 species of other fish perhaps..I will then answer you with the exact location in the philipines the fish can be fund in plentyfull !! I will compensate you with some few HUNDREDS from the Phils....Don,t forget I have been around some say over 34 years now...And lake Malawi my dear . that is freshwater dii ba..AND THAT COUNTS FOR CHICLIDS O N L Y !! the rest the lake has NOTHING ELSE TO OFFER !! If you try to outsmart me by the use of the INTERNET but don,t know a sh*t about fish.. don,t get into a confilct you never are going to win..Beside that Xingu river and other streams of the Amazone have more to offer..EVERY MONTH a dozen or so NEW species of Corydoras is found... Ever heared about Dr. Willy Swartz or his Son Adolph Swartz..I have worked for then several years ,KID.. Ever been to the Pantanal in Brasil ?? The Choco River in Surinam perhaps ?? Both surpass Lake Malawi ...
    Keep in mind that you have been ONLY to divespots here in the Phils where EVERYBODY goes.. But not at thoses place(s) I refer to , and there are many many more... Ever been to QUEZON Riau ? Polilio Island perhaps. Maranduque ? Ever come acoross a Chaetodon burgessi or Mirolabrichtys lorii in Indonesia.. How about Centropyge loricula ( formerly Loricullus) It is found in Rongelong and Rongelap ( Dr. O.K. Davis) and a subspecies in Christmas Island. Even more rare deepwater mutation without black lines in Oahu / Hawaii. You will find it however at Surigao in quantities... Cemtropoyge multifasciatus perhaps in Indonesia ?? Ofcourse not . only from Marinduque ..Hoplolatilus purpureus or Hoplolatilus chlupathy ?? H. starcki perhaps how about H. marcosi ( after Ferdi Marcos)...FAT CHANCE !!
    A Pseudochromis diadema maybe .? O no ,sorry that is to be found around CEBU ISLAND lang !! Even the " endemic "Acanthurs achilles from Kona ( Hawaii) is yep at LUBANG...and plentyfull...Same for the Centropyge potterii that occurs "only "at Ohau ( Hawaii) well .. its here...I have been sending speciments to both Honolulu and Smthsonian Museum in the USA ...
    If you seek for solid proof , contact the Bischop Museum in Honolulu I suggest. Say hi from Earl if you please..Perhaps they will also explain you the WHY it is NOT on the internet... It might just be a very very GOOD REASON......
    ANY CHELLANCE you wish to beat me with I will honour......!!! But if you can.t stand the heath anylonger .. stay out of MY KITCHEN...

8. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Earl, you sound like you're speakin a foreign language to me. As I said, I don't pretend to be an endemic fish expert, and I am no marine biologist. But I do know from reading many fish ID books that Indonesia has more than one endemic fish... I also don't profess to be an expert on Phils either and can only comment on what I've seen.

I mention Lake Malawi because I went kayaking and diving there earlier this year - wonderful place, and they claim to have more endemics than anywhere else - sure they are freshwater, it's a lake! But still, ok for diving, though a little boring (no corals and few invertebrates etc).

The only challenge I wish to make to you is for you to present some evidence to support your claims ... :p

"If you can't stand the heat stay out my kitchen"? - Ever hear about "Put up, or shut up" ?

9. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    THESE ARE NOT MY CLAIMS BUT OF ALL ICHTHYOLOGISTS !! Beside that I have given you the name of several already . Anyway there are some 4 or 5 here in the Phils as well. I can pass on their email addresses and even phonenumbers ,but I have to ask them first , beside I believe they should FIRST read your posts in order to know whether they wish to go into discussion with you.
    We have some 7.000 Islands overhere , Howmany have you been ??
    I am also not talking about Endemic ALONE... It is just that the Phils top all other locations by having their species as well , PLUS the Endemic ones and that makes the Phils so UNIQUE.
    SOME PROOF KIDDO... ( please don,t cry..).

Just for those that take interst to read it ALL and scroll down a long long way.. .:: TxtMania.com ::. - Home trivia / only in the philipines and read all about it.. You missed that one KIDDO ?? 500 corals out of 700 WORLDWIDE are found in the Phils.. (Scrol down to SEAHORSE part ) MOST ENDEMIC FISHES and the list continues Take the time and read the whole I would say.. there is also a WARNING...
    NOTE !!!!!!!
    I have to edit here .!!!. as I cannot put a website here in full on the forum as you see. Those that wish to know more can contact me by EMAIL as I have in my profile both Pm AND Email standing open for all of you..

10. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Sorry Earl, I'm still none-the-wiser to understanding what you are talking about. You have not given me any urls to any web pages to support your claims, nor have you given me any contact details. So that's proof of nothing I'm afraid!

You ask how many Phil islands have I been to? I've already answered that above.

Then you give me a url link to a text mate website and ask me to read that?! What for? I don't want text mates. Or are they experts on marine bio-diversity too? :wink:

Then you quote me that Phils has 500 coral species and claim that it is the most diverse in the world? Raja Ampat (one small proposed park in Indonesia) has 537, so how can that be?!

Sorry, you're losing me somewhere Earl. You've just given me evidence that Phils is NOT the most diverse! :eek:

Anyway, I really don't want to labout the point. I was rather hoping to discuss conservation issues and options in this thread, but that idea seems to have been usurped.

So can you give me urls, or are can we just agree that your magical evidence doesn't exist on the internet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.