Dumaguete Info Search

Top 10 in the World? In Dreamworld!

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by ZambeziKid, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Love the topic, hate the tendency

Well well.... this is going to become a hot thread.
    Good that we all believe in necessary improvements regarding our attitude towards the conservation of our great underwaterworld (I won't exclude the world above the water, but that's not the topic here of the top 10 locations).
    It can not be discussed enough and hopefully Gloria is really one of the persons to get it done here in the Philippines as well. (Good link, Picklet. Thanks).
    If some people on this forum know what meanwhile has already been done (the article Picklet linked to was dated 2006) I would be very delighted to hear that.
    Too often the intentions are there (worldwide....not only here !) but the actions are hampering.
    I saw the DVD about "An inconvenient Truth" with a good performing Al Gore. These things we need more to get people aware, but it need to be spread to all 'levels' so also people who don't have a TV, DVD player or newspaper. However, most important /decisive is the political willingness to get things changed.
    I hope it's gonna start soon at the schools and already when children are 7 or 8 years old.
    Newt, regarding one of your posts here: an OPINION is ALWAYS subjective. I don't know how to judge that as 'objective'. Need some help here :smile:
    Zambezi: Thanks guy. You started a good thread and I'm with you for a big part.

2. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Wow !!!!!!

Hi Gass, you are not a GASS to me for sure . BOy , you know this guy.. well okay. I already tought he just copied a lot links down and not even been at those places. He sound pretty much confused as well and if you go in to the arguments from him .. anyway. He lost his face and likley also the confidanceof people here that trust him for.. yes for what.. reson anyway. He is mxing up facts pretty much and his prrof ( must be scientific tough) about the endemic marienlife in Indo can never be supported as I willl give FULL DATA about the whereabouts of all species her in the phils..
    Thera re now even scinetist that believ that marinel.ife as we know is started here in the Phils , and that would explain a lot if not everything.....

ABOUT THE CORALLIFE HERE.. Right now a dutch professor is "replanting "Hundered island in La Union with reefgrwoing corals and some Acropora as well. The growth facot is time 5 !! so it will grow MUCH faster then normaly.. Bringeing back the corals is BRINGING BACKTHE FISH DIVERSITY !

Remeber over 500 kinds of coal out of 700 world wide are to be found here. I can list the ones that are NOT her easier but no need for nor the time..

Many many Scientific names end up like philippensiis.. becoz...only in the Philpines !!
    Anyway I spend to much time here I have to get back to work.
    Thank all of you for the input , It is going to be again a LONG topic what we speak of.. If anybody want a list of divespots yet not being in use right now I can mail you inPM I AM NOT GOING TO POST IT HERE !!

Earl

3. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Go Girl !!

Thanks for all the input here Pickled Newt . Yes more and more sceintist come over .. Even very nearby places have still all not to over like Pagbilao.
    Even in late 1800 the Phils where very much apriciated.. I can give you atlerast a dozen of names of scientist at that time that "made it "
    Anyhow it seems that you and other have taken over my arguments II have nothing m,re to say to "the Kid" Nice name though.. suits the purpose well , I believe..
    AS POSTED BEFORE BY ME.. Yes you are wright P N about Smithsonian... I work with SMITHSONIAN but that already some 25 !! years..

4. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Jellyfish - who's Gloria and what link are you referring to? Can you pls copy the url here? Many thx

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Purt Sudan

Melvin. you seem to know more then only about grass trimming.
    YES !! Purt Sudan is the only "heaven on earth "for those that seek girlfriends ( not from Dumaguete ) for a "quicky "It is however soem miles into the dessert where you will find some plywood deviders place right into the sand , no light and no bed to speak of and.. O well need I say more.
    And for those that want to know .. Yes I have been therv as well. I was invited , but left earlier tyhen the rest.. I hate dessetsand between my...

6. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Jellyfish. just for you to know my source for the Phils is supported and sustained not only on sceintist views of it all ,but also from over 400 !! professional fish collectors that are RIGHT NOW working under authorisation of Steve Robinsons new technique collecting fish . The work environment FRIENDLY and sellect NO breeders but mediumsize fish only. for the world Aquatic trade. The NICE side affect is a lot of ususfull information about NEW divespot some very very remote ( 5 days travel by banka as posted already) and thus... new information about our Philippines..

7. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

Melvin , are you gettiing serious now . Boyn where have you been all time ?? Sorry I noticed 3 post of The Kiddo , nice name though suit the purpopser well. II cannot read them howver sinei have put him on my ignore blist ( ther is only one more and you are as you se NOT that other one :D
    I believe that his "experience "is DRAINED from the internet as he makes mistakes and twists things around. I will refrain comments to him as . once again ( of what a BLESSIING !) I cannot read anymore of his Bull..But what I make out of the replies of others he is on quicksand now....

Mind you , if he has realy been to all those places , howcome he is going to Apo ?? Surely his source for information would have told him more..
    Anyway As he is still a KID , perhaps he will grow up someday... but not in this live.....:p sorry for ALL the errors , I am not e monitor for several days..

8. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Seems to me that the reason this thread has so many diverging posts is because we are discussing many issues, and the arguments are losing clarity and it's all getting oh so confusing ...

So I've just opened two new threads:
    - one to discuss opinions on which are the top 10 dive destinations in the world
    - and one to discuss the merits or otherwise of the assertion that the Philippines has the most diverse marine life in the world.

Then can we please reserve this thread for posts on ideas and comments about conservation and what can be done here in Apo.

... That guy Earl ... never gives up does he? .. He's like a dog with a bone ... :wink:

9. OP
    OP
    ZambeziKid

ZambeziKid DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Your absolutely right there,

Just as a practical example of what works:

In Pacific Harbour and Beqa Lagoon in Fiji the long-line fishing has practically stripped the reefs bare of fish.

Beqa Adventures (a dive operator there) decided to set up a marine protected area (MPA) to conserve what remained of the shark population. So they had meetings with the local village chiefs and fishermen. They agreed that the fishermen would fish elsewhere, some would be employed to monitor and police the reef, some employed in the dive operation, and in return the would be paid a user fee for each diver that dived on Shark Reef.

The local community are very happy with the deal cos they earn far more money than they ever could from fishing (especially since the reefs were bare anyway), and some of them have got paid jobs away from the fishing industry. The dive operator now has a successful bull shark feeding concession, where you can dive with around 30 bull sharks, plus about 6 or 7 other types of shark. Without this MPA there would be no sharks left now. The fishermen would have no jobs, the dive operator would have no dive site, and there would be no tourists bringing money into the community.

And you know what the only difference is between that success story, and most others? The difference is that there was a business there that was prepared to take action, to do something.

It's all well and good to talk about plans and problems until you are blue in the face, but you need to take action - lots of hard work, planning, money, organisation and action. There are problems to face in every walk of life, but people that make a difference are those that are prepared to shoulder the responsibility of taking action themselves, and not wait for others to do the hard work for them.

10. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This is fun

I am enjoying taking a backseat for a change as I am so enjoying this war of words between the kid and Earl. As for my slant on all this, I think we should just decimate all the dive locales, destinations, sites of the world then we don't have to worry about marine bio diversity anymore. Remember I only have a short time to live so what do I give a crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.