Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist visa extensions in the Philippines

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Naaling, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I would strongly urge people to extend their visa at the immigration office in Dumaguete rather than Cebu or Manila, since the staff on our local office is very friendly and service oriented, and waiting time is usually short.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
  3. dharmabum

dharmabum DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I came to PI Oct 30 with a 59 visa obtained in Canada before departure. I planned to leave PI Jan 21. My 59 day visa would expire Dec 27,2009 so I read in Lonely Planet it is easier to get visa extension in Cebu City than a full day waiting in Manila. The quide book said 1 hour only. I was not aware of Immigration office in Dgte at that point.
    I paid the 4300 to extend my vias to Jan 28,2010 at Cebu City immigration office.

This was a one month extension and did take indeed one hour. The only negative was an immigration official who took special interest in me. He looked at my passport and told me the stamp on arrival in Manila was on the wrong page but he could change that. He did so taking my passport behind the counter and getting stamp and papers signed that I filled out. Then I went from window to window for each step of the process ending up with my passport back, extension stamped and entry stamp on correct page etc. Then he asked me for 500 pesos for his help.

I noticed there were signs on the wall warning that paying for a fixer was strictly against the law and should be reported at once to authorities. Not wanting the hassle I pulled out my wallet to pay but he ushered me quickly into the bathroom where he checked the stalls to ensure we were alone. He was a large man and heavy set. I asked him if he would accept 300p and he furtively accepted as another person had entered he toilet. Just another story from the road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.