Dumaguete Info Search

Trick-or-treating along Silliman Ave

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by derivative_guru, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I noticed last year on Halloween some sort of trick-or-treating along Silliman Ave by children dressed in costume...does anyone know about this event? Is it an annual thing? Open to the public?

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    We have this event in Britain, annoying kids banging on your door,trick or treat,I pretend to not be in,hehehe::wink:

3. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    C'Mon now don't you think you're a little bit old for trick or treating!:p

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Well, I had a couple of Kids coming to my house last year.

After I opened the door they started screaming handed me their Candies and run away faster than the speed of light ... I like those traditions... keep them coming...

5. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Trick-or-treat is something new here. We never did this during halloween. Halloween time is spent in the cemeteries with departed loved ones. We clean the area, light candles and offer flowers, eat and have a sort of family reunion in the cemeteries where all the departed loved ones are. It is only recently that I notice some schools having this practice. Otherwise, no, it is not part of our tradition or culture. I remember as a kid that I and my friends used to go from house to house singing X'mas songs for some candies or cookies. But that's during X'mas and this practice is still done today.

6. mrbee

mrbee DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just another pagan festival,magnified from the good ole USA. Spreading now to other countries. If they come to my door..a bucket of water might help!

7. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    the local tradition is having kids dressed in ghostly costumes roaming around symbolizing the ghosts of dear departed coming back to visit the living. people in rural areas, (dumaguete was very rural before) prepared native delicacies like puto, biko, budbod and share these with the roaming "kalags". that is why we have "kalag-kalag". it also serves as opportunity for family reunions. kinda nostalgic though as this tradition is actually fading practice in favor of US style trick-or-treating.

in at least two towns, dauin and amlan, people light candles at the gates and along the fences, to help guide the visiting ghosts of the departed relatives paying a visit on the night of all soul's day.

8. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    :smile:In this place where I was born and raised, my parents never dressed us up in ghost costumes, but only bought masks made of paper that we wore just because it was "tingkalalag". We didn't have clothes or costumes to match these toy masks and we were never taught that we had to go around to ask for goodies from neighbors. We did that during Christmas. It's always been visits and get-together at the cemetery every All Souls' Day.:smile::smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.