Dumaguete Info Search

Trying to find out more about your City.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Heinz Schirmaier, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hill topper

hill topper DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey there Rhoody, I think Heinz qualifies for a Red dot by his name!!!

2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You would be surprised at the success rate. :wink:

3. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Larry,
    If you would look at one of my later posts, I said to purchase the quality ingredients here is very difficult and expensive....I have looked!! Like I said, I will be shipping stuff periodically that I need to make what I want to make enchiladas at home for my family.....and hope I can find some somewhat decent cheese (haven't been very impressed so far)....I suppose if someone had "connections" to get the ingredients here, that would be nice, but would still be expensive to try to do on a regular basis. Wouldn't mind seeing a once a month authentic enchilada night somewhere....somewhere that doesn't rely just on that to make their money...I think people would pay every now and then to partake in something like that, and if it were advertised, people would actually make plans to go to that restaurant on that particular day or night, I know I would. Anyway, I haven't lived here very long, but long enough to have looked for what I need, and discovered how difficult it is to even find corn flour, mesa harena (in a country of corn), much less green chilis (non existant at the stores I have looked), jalapenos, and the good cheeses (nowhere have I looked thus far, but haven't checked at any of the specialty places).
    I just wish anybody good luck in any endeavors they desire, hope nothing but the best, offer ideas if they are asking (what they do with them is their business), and tend to be a very optimistic (usually see the glass as half full) person.
    I am trying to make the best of a difficult situation that even I am in.....quit my job in the U.S. as a surgical nurse to move here with my disabled husband (he uses a wheelchair and oxygen) and our 11 year old daughter because this is my husband's "home" and he wanted to come "home". It wasn't easy for me to leave my 18 year old college student daughter and my 1 1/2 year old grand baby in Oklahoma, it wasn't easy to leave my very ill mother (who died within 2 months of my moving here)....but, because I am the type of person who is nurturing and, hopefully loving, that I want my husband to be happy and this is where he wants to be, as his condition is deteriorating. I have to figure a lot of this country out on my own, although my husband is able to get out as long as I push him and tote his oxygen for him. Dumaguete is where all his roots are, that is where his family and friends are so this is where we will be in a few months, rather than here in Manila.
    Anyway, I have babbled on long enough.....but I just wanted you to know that I have done my research and I know what I am going to do about making enchiladas at home (my husband is begging me to make some).....I can voice my opinion about "wishing" to see some real mexican food here, I would hope someone who was looking into any business anywhere already knows to do their homework before starting any business and would know to check the feasibility of that business, they don't need me telling them how to do that, because I am not a business person....ask me about knee surgeries or boob jobs (THAT I know!!:D:D)
    Take care,
    Marie

4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Dave at private garden does this sort of thing. He often has a special on Saturday's.

I think a bar or restaurant can always be successful but it's the first thing that people think of when they want to start a business here. People always think we need another internet cafe when I don't even have certain basic services like trash collection.

5. reedee

reedee DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    dave's

Then, Dave can count on us being there!!:smile:
    Marie

6. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Rhoody, you are a giant !
    How the hell do you find the time to gather all this info ?
    When it is however rather easy, then you have to learn me soon that 'trick'.
    I had some doubts and bang .....the answer is there seconds after my post.
    My gut-feeling was correct I know now, after also reading the later reactions.
    Did you do him this special favor because he is your beloved country man :wink:?
    But I hope you won't go into details in my history ...... I hope the internet can make a better story of it than the one I know :D
    But serious ....although it's bad to read this story (coz it's so nasty) it's good there is someone taking the time to verify the truth of 'arrogant postings'.
    I remember well the ones of another previous member (btw he was MY country man :smile:)

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well Jelly .... you know what I think about Germans (thats the reason why I left that country long time ago) ... pair this with the "ruler of the world, knowing everything"-attitude brings it pretty much fast down to the worst-case-scenario.

Anyway, when I ever reach 69 like the OP (and I doubt that heavily with my life-style)... I hope I still can do exactly what my age says ... and not trying to tell other people what they missed in their life, while sitting with way more than one foot in jail ....

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    .. that is up to the DI-members with giving reputation-points. (the small scale on the upper right corner of each post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.