Dumaguete Info Search

TXT-ing in the philippines

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Rhoody, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Txting here amazes me daily. no foreigner has a clue how dependent and ingrained this is. My GF's daughter and friend both 18, share 4 cell phones at least 5 sim cards, and often txt two phones at once. If one has unlimited txt they share that sim for a day. They have no life except for going to school and txting. I should own stock in smart or Globe.
    Guys beware, philipinas have one sim for you, and one (at least )anonymous sim they can use to trap you. I see this happen and it has happened to me in the past.
    Also I never ever buy eload any more, the eload stores whether a sari sari or small place will trade your number, I used to wonder why I would all of a sudden get these flurry of txts from girls I had no clue who they were, just after buying an eload. Dumb me. "Hello you want to be my txt mate?" Or "musta?" I have long brown hair very sexy, want a txt mate txt bk"

If you are single, It a complex world of bait and switch, GF's friends pretending to be mysterious txt mates etc. Add blue tooth where they mate their cell phones like small electronic rabbits, and it becomes a logrythmic multipying of contacts and numbers floating around.
    My current partner is thankfully not into txting and does not even carry a cell, what a refreshing change.
    Beyond my ability to spend time figuring out how to use the phones, the young kids here know all this stuff as if they were born with the knowledge, secret key strokes for speedy txting, how to exploit sim card defects etc.

One contributing variable to the useless txting amoung students is that they buy a 24 hour load that has unlimited txt for that time period. so they figure they can "gain" by txting constantly even if they have nothing to say. What they don't comprehend is the clever marketing by the service which gets them for X number of Pesos per day. Txting in itself has no intrinsic cost, so the more money generated per dium the better.

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

Ofcourse I am not talking about people here but based from experience in general .When in the PI, we normally buy new sim cards for our cell phones,and strangely we get these odd txts from strange people,as if we knew them or typical phrases of old friends. Also bulls**** adverts ,too much.My husband get also strange girls txts and i teased him sometimes , as his new encounters just missing him.As we get to know the system there and can only say it's flourishing txt messaging top ups , because it has some crazy bulk of obsessed txters.

can happen any place,any time,000's times ,from parties and other means and I agree with that .But what i was talking was the sad implications of encounters thru txting which ultimately lacking substance .At least in parties people normally have references,a friend invites a friend,a sister invites he uni mates, colleages at work ,meeting people in same social class ,same trade ...all thru conventional gatherings,male female acquaintance but hit it off in minutes,is another business.

But can't get it how many find it amazing having encounters through txting, and winding to extreme level with the person just out the blue ,could be carrying lot of deadly contagious diseases.Some filipinos thought of the thrill but not the risks .My friend had this txt contact of this strange guy in Manila and was excited about it. Also a guy in cebu ,a married overseas worker found out his wife was having an affair with her secret txt mate ,while his away working like hell and sending her his wages .Out of rage he shoot his wife.Txt messaging is a brilliant innovation of this day but depends how it's being used.

I am perhaps more traditional in my way of thinking ,but in my opinion it is such a bizarre way of meeting new faces.

I agree with all said by RHB ... changing times.

3. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    These people must have really strong thumbs. :D I only text when I'm using the pc using free webtext allocated by the network I'm using. It was shocking to see people on motorbikes texting while driving. Mind you because of the congestion one cannot drive fast but still... I only have two fones: one with a roaming sim so my contacts back home can text me for only one Peso and the other is my O2 fone. I'm sure most people are aware of another freetext site namely Chikka. Text, Text, Uh-huh, Uh-huh :D

Happy fiesta Valencia!! Daghan na hubog ron :smile:

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    they must have muscly thumbs,lols.can't do that .

5. OP
    OP
    Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    PN,
    as we are boardmates here I really wonder what friends you have, hehe, All your posts are are including "a friend of yours...." and than a horror story starts, you really should think about your friends...:wink: :D
    As for me, I don't believe 5% of any friend stories (this means ALL, not yours).
    I am almost 7 years in this lovely country and have enough expierience, that I can tell my own stories. Since the 3rd day the same cell-number, and know how to deal with it. I catch myself to send sometimes useless txt. RHB is right with the e-load and trading numbers, but knowing that it is easy to avoid. Maybe I am a lucky one, but I don't get any promo txt from smart, unless I ask for my balance, then they always send one seperate txt right after it. My Mahal buys eload sometimes she got that promo stuff untill we went to the smart office, 2 minutes discussion and 1 minute jelling at them solved the problem, no promo-txt anymore.

The time where Uni mates invite a friend to a party or work collegues meet is a thing I would consider as a private kinda thing.

"We make some party..." is a common term not only used by the teenagers. some Alcohol, good music, some people... thats where the partie is, and everybody goes there. no matter what social background or interests. "Hey there is a party at Boulevard"... "fiesta in...." the party is everywhere... If I ask at my workplace that I wanna go to town, somebody of my philippino coworkers will come up and tell me where "the party is..." - "Rhoody, go home take a shower, I pick you up at 9 and we go there". And I met congressmen on that parties together with lasing fishermen and more lasing Diveinstructors (wont tell the name, but longtime member of that board:D ). And that is my private expierience.
    But I like the work colleges - parties, when there is alway one or more couple who can't look into each other eyes the next day anymore... at least they had the same social level and interests... for some minutes or hours:p

cheers (no party tonight)

Rhoody

6. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Forgot, another good reason not to buy E load, the junk txts by which Smart and Globe steal your load. If you respond, load goes. Ironic that the cheap loads have the insidious bait txt junk mail. Those that can least afford get the crap. Cards 300-500P no junk.
    While on the subject Did you know That Wowwow wee makes millions from the txt in questions. Smart and globe give a kick back. That just from the txt revenue.

7. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    i hate texting, when there's somebody who will text me and need to have a long answer then I have to call her or him, and if the text is not so important I don't answer.But anyway, I'm not a teene anymore.Mostly my acquaintance who have my cell no. is not also fond of texting.

8. wiNkz

wiNkz DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well txting for me really helps since i am in a long distance relationship :(
    but sometimes txt msgs are misleading.. especially bcoz it does not contain emotions.. so that it is very possible to being misinterpreted..

if u r careless enuf not to put a question mark at the end of ur msg.. then the receiver of ur msg won't think u just posed a question.. other people might think ur mad bcoz of those txt msgs u sent.. but take note that the way the receiver reads the msg also matters or rather plays a big role in understanding the msg. on the other hand, u might be feeling angrier than ever.. but the receiver of ur msg never realizes it..

add to it, wen ur receiver can't txt u back (probably he or she run out of load)... u would start thinking he or she wasn't pleased to receive ur msg.. or he or she has just ignored and abandoned u.. and maybe taken for granted..

u see txting might help but it cud also not do so much.. still communicating face-to-face is the best way... when u cud see the eyes of the receiver of ur msg..its expressions and emotions.. :smile:

9. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    laughing!

You are always CRACKING me up! :D If ever I am feeling down I just need to get on this forum to read one of your comments to lift my spirit!

10. dumaguetenia

dumaguetenia DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    ....Amen! to that cyndi... i never been so patients with computer and typing but now, i find myself stealing my time to read the post. Real people,real life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.