Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. Emabssy change in DNA requirements

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by expatron, Mar 27, 2011.

1. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    A friend of mine just came back from the Embassy in Manila, he is applying for Citizenship for his young son. In his case they are requiring a DNA test to prove he is the father. Now he isn't married to his long time lady and I don't know if all applications require DNA as of now.

They informed him that St, Lukes hospital can no longer be accepted as proof for the results. The new procedure is St Lukes will take the sample blood test then the sample must be analysed in the U.S.

The quoted price is P1,500 for St. Lukes lab and $750 for the U.S. lab, and who knows what hidden charges, No estimation of time could be given.
    Ron

• Like Like x 1
  2. ruanard

ruanard DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    he who dips his wick shall pay for the oil

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Touchee!

:eek: Or words to that effect!:eek:

Jack P.:wink:

4. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Does Your Friend have Medical Ins. in the States? If so then I'm sure He'll be able include His Son on the Policy and save a little bit on the $750 DNA testing cost.. Otherwise that's alot of money to pay out of pocket.. Highway Robbery if You ask Me...Cheers

5. Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What happens if it turns out the DNA shows someone else is the dad?

I guess you could legally adopt him here. It would cost less than $750 and probably take less time????

6. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    He is a long time resident here and I knew both of them even before they met 8 or 9 years ago, I would bet the farm the child is from his loins. unfortunately he doesn't have U.S. health insurance so he is on the hook for the outrageous cost's.

If the child wasn't his, adoption is a far more expensive way to go for citizenship. He would have to go through the adoption process and get a visa for the child to live in the U.S. for something like 5 years to establish residency before citizenship will be granted.

I know the rules contently change, but that is what the embassy told me a few years ago.
    Ron

7. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    He how pumps the Organ

He how pumps the Organ must pay the Piper. If he thinks that is high how the hell is he going to support that child let alone sent him to College? Oh, I almost forget, Good old USA Welfare. I guess I have been living in the Philippines to long. Sorry.
    :rolleyes:

8. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    He supports 4 kids, the point was the change in procedure and the much higher cost. I'm not saying it is wrong, but getting a child citizenship is much harder now.
    Ron

9. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    its worth it...people do a lot worse or spend a lot more to get into USA even if its illegally or paying for false documents..And many get deported only to make the same expense and risk again and again...If its the real thing its worth a lifetime of value beyond an average humans dreams..

10. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Yes I agree, one of the first things I did when my daughter was born was to get her U.S. citizenship, now she is a dual citizen and will have more choices when she get's older.
    Ron