Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. Navy in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronin

ronin DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    RHB, I love reading some of this stuff, but i really enjoy the conspiracy theory crap you're spouting. pretty good. a navy guided missile destroyer trolling or drilling for oil off dumaguete. ingenius....they'll find it before the chinese get there. i'm sure they have that drilling equipment hidden on board somewhere. they probably are also searching for Yamashita's gold the marco's regime hid in the mountains nearby to deny the filipino people access to it. maybe it was hidden in the dental work of the angeles bar girls who jumped on a plane and flew down to duma when they heard there was a navy ship somewhere nearby. ever think the ship actually did come to dumaguete as part of a military/military exchange between the Filipino and US governments? naaah, not scandelous enough.

ps...guess oil was found in Manila harbor, Cebu and Olongapo as at least 6 US ships have visited the philippines in the last 3 months delivery humanitarian supplies, providing hands on labor to improve filipino schools and medical supplies donated by american citizen groups just to name a few activities.

2. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ronin, do you have any additional idea what the hick the Missile destroyer is doin in dgte aside from the charity work?

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    We get the US Navy ships visiting Perth regularly. Even we have a loony left element that tries sometimes to make them unwelcome. Once or twice a year we get the big aircraft carriers even. We do get the odd troublemaker amongst them, but by and large - the vast majority of sailors and marines are good kids having a nice relaxing visit here. They really enjoy themselves and you see them going all over the place visiting all our tourist sites and learning a lot about Australia. We've run into some of them from time to time, and they've always been very well-mannered and friendly in our experience. Some help out with various charity projects, like they've done in the Philippines. If you don't want them in Dumaguete, can you send them our way. We don't mind at all.

4. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Well finaly some one took the bait, I was begining to wonder, I had to post the info twice.:smile:

You seem to be a little hostle friend, truth is I didn't make any of this stuff up. The sailors here on shore leave were talking about it all over the Bvld. Maybe they we making it up.

I just added the "wake up" andother provocative comments to see if anyone cares that the U.S. has interest other than "good will" in the Philippines. Can't say as it matters to me either way.

In case yo don't know, there is a loosly organized group of Philippine eco scientists and others who are quite concerned about the environmental impact of oil exploration in the Tanon straight Melvin, Markey, or whoever you are this week.

5. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Can't imagine the US Navy protecting Japanese drilling...Frankly, investing in oil companies is my hobby...nice one lately too LOL...so I have a fair idea of what is going on around the world in the industry. We're not talking another Saudi Arabia here...be lucky to get anything...a few million bbl would be my best estimate. The Philippines is littered with disappointed oilers. Success is rare. I know the Philippines left is touting a billion barrels about to be exploited by the imperialists...but they wouldn't have a clue..disinformation is their livelihood and one they use often to destroy resource investment. IF any US sailors were playing along with this protection idea...they probably got a good giggle out of it..

6. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    I didn't say anything about protecting anything, nor did the sailors, something more basic I think, assisting in some way, but I don't know the details. From what I heard from second hand sources, was that some of the Navy personel, were eager to discuss the general role, others were tight lipped. That's all. If you choose to believe they were all lying or having a joke, that's fine. If you bothered to read some previous posts you will know that the tenders, booms and other support ships where anchored along side the U.S ship. they were apparently towing some sort of smaller rig in the process.

The fact, in any regard, is that the natural resources in the Tanon straight including the Dolphins, and other cetaecians, will be under threat if it matters to anyone, not that the american presence has an iota of relavance to the larger picture. Just found it interesting that they were somehow involved...

It might be interesting to conect the dots or dispel the rumours.

To label anyone(or everyone) concerned with environmental issues a leftist is generalizing that the environmental issues confronting the world are purely political, and that it is only the lunatic fringe who defend such notions.

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hi RHB,
    military personnel wont give classified information out period.
    They were properly having a laugh on your behalf.
    Jim.

8. garbonzo

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi RHB. I actually work with environmentalists every day. World-class scientists. Ecotoxicology, minesite rehabilitation, various scientists involved with plant and animal studies; physiology, behaviour, genome, etc...

That said, there is an ultra-left faction in the Philippines which spreads blatant lies and propaganda to further their objectives. The Lafayette project on Rapu-rapu is one excellent recent example. They grossly magnified a tiny spill (about a bathtub of effluent), gave it chemical properties it didn't possess, and created a regional fishing disaster with their handiwork that the church and other manipulative parties chimed in on.

We do a lot of work with the resource industries and I'm constantly amazed at the amount of money and effort they spend to prevent embarrassments here in Oz and their regional projects. If the US Navy is assisting a third country in a commercial capacity in another nation's waters....it would be the first time I've heard of it. I will look into it though...

9. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Actually Jimeve, it's not classified, the whole operation was sitting there for anyone to see, I did mention that in one of my posts, just to spice up things a little. Acually the story goes, as reported to me, that some personal talked eagerly about it, and others were relunctant to say anything.
    Secondly no one had a laugh at my expense, I didn't talk to any of the Navy personel first hand, but I did talk to more than a couple fellows who recounted the same story from different sources, thought it was worth reporting about, and whether there was a role, or what their role was would be interesting to know.

I could find out more if I really wanted to, I have lots of friends who frequent the BVLD haunts, and know a few bussiness owners there as well. But it is not my interst to do so.

If someone was to have interest in pursuing this aspect of the U.S. Navy visiting dumaguete; rather than deny or obfuscate... invesigate. OH jeez, now I sound lik Jessie Jackson :eek:

I did see the big floats, barge, and booms as well as some sort of small craft which was next to this hoist on the smaller boat. I was told, again second hand info, that the Navy ship was towing some sort of small unmanned craft.
    t
    But hey the guys spent lots of bucks here right? New girls in town, that can't b all bad.

10. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    OK, thanks, you clarified your position. The whole thing puzzld me as well. But that said, nothing would surprise me at this juncture.

The issue for the Philippines is how will they manage the resources they have, There is so much pressure from outside to devlope mining and mineral exploration. Sooo much money to be had...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.