Dumaguete Info Search

U.S. Tax Question

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by PatO, Mar 8, 2011.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Does anyone know if I have to file Philippines taxes for 2010 for the following?
    1. Did not work in 2010 but sold some US stock and also received a bonus check from a US company for work in 2009.
    2. Lived in the Philippines all of 2008 - 2010. My former company filed 2009 taxes for Philippines as I was working out of Makati.

I realize I will have to file US taxes. Thanks

2. landman

landman DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Based on my exerience for over 6 years here.......Not for the Philippines unless you are legally working here. As you said, you only have to file taxes in U.S.A. for your capital gains or losses and any other income you may have coming to you here from the USA.

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Pat! This sounds like the issue I am having with the BIR now. As you lived in the PI when you received that Bonus, they may well see it as earned income. I am guessing that Your Company reported this payment, which, would have been taxable. If tax was paid to the US and you report this to BIR Dgte, the first thing they will do is ask for Verification. If you do not have it, they will just say it was untaxed at source and Tax is due. If you Remember last year, I had the Tax Payment Receipt from my trip to Spain. This was discounted as it was written in Spanish, Now the BIR want to tax me on the earnings, They were taxed at source but of course we all know the BIR. Not Advice Pat BUT for me "Let Sleeping Dogs Sleep"
    A Guardia Civil Officer once told me, Amigo, don't come looking for me and I will not come looking for you. :D Hope you get my drift?

Jack P.:smile:

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
  5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Jack, good tip: loose lips sink ships

Mark, thanks for the site. If I understand it correctly, you must have income from a foreign country to use 2555ez, and my income is from the U.S. while I was retired, so can't use it.

6. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    For others U.S. in the same tax boat as me. I am not eligible for IRS Form 2555EZ so I found the following requisite form:

You can use Form 1040NR-EZ only if all the requirements below apply to you (most nonresident aliens present in United States for very short period of times meet all these conditions):

You do not claim any dependents. (do not claim a wife or children on your tax return. Only nonresident aliens from certain countries - residents of Canada , Mexico , Japan , Korea and students from India only can claim dependents on their U.S. tax return)
    You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return (ex: spouse, parent).
    You are not claiming any tax credits.
    If you are married, and you do not claim an exemption for your spouse.
    Your taxable income is less than $100,000.00.
    You do not claim any itemized deductions other than for state and local income taxes.
    You are not claiming any adjustments to income other than scholarship and fellowship grants excluded.
    You do not owe any "other taxes"
    Your only U.S. income was from wages, salaries, and tips, refunds of state and local income taxes, and scholarship or fellowship grants.
    Note:

Income received as an independent contractor on Form 1099 is not considered wages or salaries and can not be reported on Form 1040NREZ.
    If you had taxable interest or dividend income, you cannot use Form 1040NR-EZ.
    Bank interest is not taxable for non-residents and is not counted towards income. If bank interest is your only income from U.S. sources, you are not required to file Form 1040NR-EZ.

7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Another U.S. tax question: Does anyone know if we can claim our wife on our tax filing even though she does not have a U.S. SSN and not a citizen? Thank you.

8. Happy She & Me

Happy She & Me DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016