Dumaguete Info Search

US Dollar vs Philippine Peso

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by lostinterpreter, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    I saw a poll today in which 70% of Americans think getting universal healthcare is more important than keeping taxes low. But politicians and elected office-holders aren't listening to the people, they're listening to their base..the rich.

2. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Canadian government is most famous for having Universal Health Care but its turning into a disaster for us. Image being told that you've got a brain tumor and the reason you are going blind is it's pressing on your optic nerve. The solution is obvious: sugery and your sight will be restored....BUT... they can't operate for 9 months on account of doctor shortages and funding cutbacks. So you go to the States right away and get it done and you hand the government a 160 thousand dollar bill on your return. They refuse to pay it and won't even cover up to the cost of the surgery in Canada had it happened. "Well then", people say, "why not put more money into health care ?" They are already sucking the treasury dry. Something like 65 % of our provincial (state) budget goes to health care and it was rising steadily, Finally the governments....ALL PARTIES...said "Enough is enough" . We now have absurd waiting lists and about 30 % of Canadians don't have a family doctor. Constant overlap and waste and I'll tell you something, as one doctor described it, "More fraud happens with the stroke of a pen in Doctor's offices than anywhere else in Canada". Universal health care is not all its cut out to be. Our doctors make about 1/3 of what American doctors do hence our doctor shortage. Half of them left for the States. Are US Doctors going to take that kind of a pay cut or are you, the American tax payer, prepared to pay 3 times as much as Canadians are already paying for their disfunctional mess ? What is the answer ? About 90 % of what people see Doctor's for doesn't even need a Doctor's skills. Let nurses handle alot more than they are now. If only I was running the country !!!

3. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Or if you're poor and in the U.S., you just go blind.

4. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canada Health Care

Well how about paying through the nose for health care via super high taxes and then being told yes you have Universal Health Care and then, dying waiting for it to happen. The Canadian health system is hyped around the world.....DON'T EVER MODEL A SYSTEM AFTER OURS !!! It used to be good, but now people are dying on waiting lists on a regular basis. For far too many, it has totally collapsed !! I can give you a hundred horror stories from personal experience of myself, family or friends....don't get me started. It's the biggest scandal in Canada but the papers or people don't have much to say about it anymore. The politicians never did anything effective about it for the last 15 years...what's the point in complaining anymore.

5. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Yeah, but just because Canada's system doesn't work, doesn't mean America should keep the system we have now. Did you know that the pharmaceutical industry is the highest profit business there is? Wonder why that is.
    As for complaining, maybe it's time they take it to the streets.

6. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well hey, maybe my suggestion might plug alot of holes in either country. It's amazing how much more money doctors want than nurses, especially in the States. For what though ? Renewing a prescription for antacid ?Hypercholesterolemia ? Sprained ankle....birth control...I envision an office with 5 nurses in it and one Doctor. It continues to beg the bigger question: Why can't I run the world for a few days ?

7. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Basicly the institutions handling education of new doctors are based on doctors and of course is working on the doctors behaf.Så the result is that you eduate to few of them. Then their "value" are getting higher.

8. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    Well, the conservatives here will simply let the insurance companies write any plan we get, like they let them and the pharmaceutical companies write the medicare prescription medicine plan, like they let the polluting companies write the voluntary Clear Skies Initiative. Like they're letting the banks and mortgage companies come up with the plan to help people who were persuaded to buy homes they couldn't afford and are now on the verge of having them foreclosed, like they let the energy companies write the energy policy.

9. blackline

blackline DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Some kinda hitting nail on the head!!!

Thats together with a Tiger-kapitalistic system make shure that ordinary people allways loose.
    Today the 150 richest people in the world, own more kapital and resourses than the half of the globe poorest people(3 billion people). How do you think the picture is about paid taxes to the community for the same people??

We have a saying here. Twice the payment of a politican, and get a half as good politican.

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hmmm. We have universal health care in Australia..like Canada..sort of. It's free...although some general practitioners, in fact probably the majority now (although that will likely change soon), charge extra for appointments. Mine does...ten bucks... So you might spend $10-15 dollars to see the doctor. Prescriptions, if I remember right, are pegged at $35.70 tops. No matter what the drug...Need X-rays...flash the medicare card..no charge. Blood tests the same...You pay an extra income tax surcharge..about 2.5%...obviously not enough but the govt gets the rest from general taxes.

Good system...far from perfect...but it works. We do have some long waiting lists at times for various operations...things like knee replacements for example. Those have come down over the last year though and looking towards more progress in that area. The medical care is usually, not always - there have been a few issues - excellent and the staff are superb. You can get private insurance, I pay $150 a month to cover me and my wife, it helps with the dental and optical bills...and if we want the luxury of a private hospital it covers a lot of that too...although there may be a bill, even a sizable bill to pay in addition.

Point is I don't lay awake at night worrying about me or the family getting sick. The American medical system is abysmal...I worked there for several years, know what it's like and insurance costs and disappointments when coverage is next to useless, and my son lives there now with his family. Beautiful country and some of the nicest people on the planet. Our second favourite country....easily. We visit when we can, talk with the locals, and the costs and consequences of that outrageously over-priced medical nightmare is sickening in itself. I'm amazed that Americans put up with this disastrous situation. In fact what Americans put up with in general - is nothing more than sad. Very sad. They've all been played like twelve-string guitars...so smooth they don't realize it...Vote Hillary...get the medical treatment you really deserve...hope she pulls it off for all of you..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.