Dumaguete Info Search

USGS:Quake-negros philippines

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tunji oluwajuyemi, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunshine

sunshine DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard in the news today, Then I call my family, was so worried as my whole family is in omod, bayawan....but thank GOD that everybody was ok.....

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    At 5pm another small aftershock or more hula for the guys in Hawaii.:D

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Conflicting Stories.

:confused: Well, I am in Spain, My Wife there, in Dumaguete, tells me she was woken up, at a time give or take by, this happening. 4am. Now I read the press and I read what has been reported here, I read what is Positive and Negative,. I have family who are in Bayawan, they have, It seems, had a get out Warning. OK! lets have a realistic view please. IS, there any real Danger.
    No Hog wash Please. Some say NO some say YES, Do I need to worry or is this, as suggested, Scare Mongering?

Jack P.:(

4. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    A "get out warning" based on what? The earthquake or a tsunami? :confused:

If it was based on the earthquake, why "get out"?? If it is based on a potential tsunami what elevation do they live at above sea level? Can they sea the ocean from where they live? I would be VERY leery of a "get out" warning without further information. They "get out" and it is the perfect time for the thieves to "get in"!

5. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    A 6.7 years ago off shore big island hawaii where my home is,,the quake was strong enough to crack roads,fall boulders onto roads off the steep cliffs and leave cracks in buildings,,it was the older buildings that cracked(historical kings palace in Kona) 5. to 6. rattles dishes and can topple bottles and dishes,,,6.+ can clear shelves and crack simple concrete.....Newzealands christ church had a 6.3 that leveled many buildings and cracked and uplift roads...It was a very shallow 6.3 in newzealand...I guess negros quake was deeper at 6.4

6. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I can't say that it was very scaring to me but so far the strongest I personally have felt here in the Philippines during the past 5 years I live here.
    Certainly not comparable with vibrations from sugar cane trucks who pass here regularly along the south highway we are living at :wink:.
    Rhoody felt nothing at his place. Could well be....here we all did.
    The shock at 4:48 AM did awake us all and OUR dogs started to bark.
    In 2007 we had a smaller shock here.
    Later that week we found in our bungalow which we rent out, that some tiles in the shower were broken.
    It does make you realise to be lucky to live in Negros and not in earthquake and typhone prone area.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Magnitude 6.4 - NEGROS, PHILIPPINES | Real Time Earthquakes in the world

20 km deep. The strength in dumaguete was estimated with 4, sipalay 5.

Jelly, sit at 5pm at Hayahay when sugar cane trucks roaring down the road watch your bottle shaking and moving on the table.

The 2007 one had it's epicenter right of the beach in Dauin and surely had more effect here than this rattle yesterday.

The point I try to make is that spreading a lot of nonsense does not help anyone who might be not in Dumaguete but is interested in the area.

The fact is that we simply did NOT have a 6.X quake in Dumaguete.
    The fact is there was NO tsunami warning whatsoever.
    The fact is that it was strength 4 here in Dumaguete, which is in the PI a total common occurrence weekly.
    The fact is that this Scare Mongering (borrowed from post earlier) obviously confuses and scares people, as it can be read in this thread

I had multiple mails about the strong quake in Dumaguete based on people talking bollocks.

I am always up for great and sensational stories but if it includes creating pointless panic and fear it will not happen on this platform.

8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    No Worry Then!

:smile: I can take it then, I need not Worry!

Jack P.:wink:

9. sunshine

sunshine DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good morning everybody and good afternoon in the phils.......I was so glad that earthquake is gone now hoping so totally in negros and all over places ....back to normal for work......but school still close til futher notice.......God bless everybody....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.