Dumaguete Info Search

water management

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by yabs, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    How can dumaguete fully benefit from that water treatment fascility if it only does treat water from the market.How about waste water from the households and business sectors,hospitals ,where do they go? Emptied down the boulevard or in the nearest river ?At the end of the day still a nice aromatic smell for people to breathe in sitting in the park ? Funny really .Now this water treatment fascility given various alternative locations ,has to be in the park ,lovely , where does it come from.I am not any expert in water treatment ,but simple common sense as we learn from places we had been went to , never heard of any w.water treatment fascility contructed in the middle of people’s park .Normally any of this kind is constructed miles away from human habitation.If so happening people will lobby against it and projects like that are put on hold and questioned.They spent millions of pesos on it but not long enough somebody in higher places of Dgte wants it demolished ,easy made easy go.:rolleyes:

2. tonyrems

tonyrems DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hate to be happy with the thought that it was going to be a swimming pool or a fishpond, but when I found out otherwise, this is not a laughing matter. No Marky, it is going to be a waste water management plant/ facility treatment center. Are we going to let it be used just because it is a completed projected! Would we rather take a little more time to consult EXPERTS if it is wise to put it there, does it have to be there, have all the necessary permits, clearances, consultations, approval, etc. completed. We are talking here of the safety and health of future generations if this is a facility that is out of place!

3. Dindo

Dindo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Threat to community health

Before the facility starts to operate, a full disclosure by the City Government needs to be PUBLISHED for all to see. In case there are questions/criticisms/concerns, the City Gov't must conduct a public hearing to explain the facility operation and its implications on community health.

I suppose this is now a bit tricky because the City Gov't never conducted a full public hearing before they started the project.

Dindo

4. Dindo

Dindo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its not what it seems...

>>If they don't have the knowledge where to put an STP properly nor the technology to run one, why even think of putting 2-3 separate ones? Does (Ablong's) going around the world and looking at existing facilities make him an "expert" in making STPs? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire real Experts/Wastewater Engineers to plan and implement a project? I am no expert but it is better common sense to reroute the effluents and have a big treatment plant outside the city where it is safe. Wouldn't that be better?

5. tonyrems

tonyrems DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Dindo,

Does STP mean Septic Tank Project? Are you the same Dindo from Australia who writes for the Negros Chronicle? The same "Australian" being sued for libelous remarks by the mayor of Dumaguete. I read that article then and I didn't come across any 'libelous remark'. My, it seems being frank with a curious opinion is not allowed! Hahahaha... If you are, that article last sunday on the Negros Chronicle was some eye opener and mind tickler. More Power to you!!! Dumaguete needs caring and concerned people like you who are not afraid to give constructive criticisms and honest observations...

6. Dindo

Dindo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, The same Dindo of Negros Chronicle but i do not know that Australian Dindo whom Mayor Perdices sued for defamation. He just withdrew his writ on my property as he realized I am the wrong Dindo he is suing and could put him in wrongful attachment. Good timely advice from his court friends and i wished he listened to his legal counsels from the start who were themselves against his filing the defamation case. Now nobody knows who he is suing and libeled me instead in the print and broadcast media. STP means "Sewerage Treatment Plant" but it might as well be Septic Tank Project, which is what it really is. Perdices lapses in judgment seem to be consistent whether in media pronouncements, filing cases or building septic tanks. I think we deserve better officials.

7. nead

nead DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i know that this project is not the sole idea of the city administration. this is in partnership with USAID and LINAW. if similar other waste water treatment facility (also in partnership with LINAW and USAID) are being built in other parts of the country then this must probably work. this project is a recommendation of the clean water act and dumaguete is one of the cities to implement the act. muntinlupa's facility is even built near a bus station and one facility in indonesia is built in a parking area. the location of dumaguete's facility is not a very big issue. if u try to see it, u wouldnt even know that its there. it is very green and there are palm trees on the area except for the last pond were it is exposed on air. it is the treated water. there are fishes swmming and it proves that its clean enough to support life. since the park is near the public market, then its practical to build it over there. not very far. the treated water will also be used to water the plants in the boulevard and in the park itself. this saves the government from very high water bills. this project will not be possible if it is not in accordance with the clean water act and by LINAW.

the complaint that it smells is true but the reason is that is is still just new. soon, the smell will not be nticeable anymore. i know this will work.

the inauguration will be this afernoon and there will be international guests and lakbay aral participants from other provinces.

the facility only caters the water waste from the public market and this does not include the waste that comes from the public toilet because it wouldnt be safe anymore. the city businessmen and the administration are having talks on putting another facility to address the water waste from the business district. still this does not include waste from toilet because this is not a septic tank.

in fact, silliman medical center is almost done with their facility located at the back of the main building. its of similar design. this is not ordered to be made by the administration but this is the hospital's own initiative since they know it will help the environment and it is safe.

lets just give it a chance and see how it works. people have been so negative about it. its a good start to help save the boulevard. one step at a time. there are 12 water waste outlets that drain in the boulevard. now, one of them will drain out treated and clean water.

boracay is having one, too. their beach looks clean but in reality its teeming with bacteria. i dnt think there is no other better way to adress this kind of problem but through this.

8. Dindo

Dindo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wasn't it you who said this is the first one in the country? Please correct me if i am wrong. This is clearly not a "Sewerage Treatment Plant" as they would want us to understand but a simple oversized Septic Tank. It wasn't too long ago that even Vice-mayor Ablong was lamenting on the environmental damage caused by leaking and/or overflowing septic tanks in dumaguete. Wouldn't this one also leak or overfloe in the near future? Lets all note that the island takes no less than 5000 tremours a year and there is no concrete structure in the area which has no crack of some sort. When that structure cracks underground where will the effluent leak to? Now, are we solving a problem or simply adding to it? Does USAID or LINAW really care? What is wrong with constructing a "collecting pipe system" along the boulevard, catching all effluents and routing it to a proper TREATMENT PLANT outside the city for safety reasons. I'll tell you what is wrong with it...it takes longer to construct and election happens every 3 years! That is your major problem with solving community problems. Politicians, like mr. Ablong should not be allowed to do work supposed to be done by experts. Real Treated effluents are normally released 5 kilometers out to sea through a piping system which run that long into the ocean. So where are the waste from these oversized septic tanks going to go when they burst at the seams? By that time USAID and LINAW would probably be somewhere else and Ablong would have retired...

9. nead

nead DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

overflowing is not a problem here bcause fyi, it is not like septic tanks where the water stays stagnant.. the water continually flows out the tank since it has a pipe leading out to the sea. pasalamt nlng ta kay naa na and nahuman na na. at least we have that and we know it might help the boulevard. unsa imo ganahn ipa buhat ana? gub-on?.. we still dnt even know maunsa na siya sa future. observe nlng ta kung maunsa na. kung ma hitabo na imong gi pangandoy nga mo crack, then lets leave it to the team nga responsible for maintaining it. but as for now, lets give it a chance, wala btaw ka dnhi if ever mo over flow na. d rka maanod.. cge reklamo ning pinoy mao ni ato probelma. kung naay solution, pangitaan pajud og sayop.. mao wa tay kpaingnan ani.. hays. anyway, if u really have a problem on that, dritso.a og atubang si ablong.

10. Dindo

Dindo DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nead, where is the pipe you say will flow the water out to sea? I have never seen any disruption of infrastructure in the area leading to the sea even from the last time i was there in May, or February or even last October when they were still halfway through construction. The city wouldn't have been able to afford underground borers if there is one available, would it? If you are not privy to the details of this project, with all due respect i will stop discussing with you because that will only make this thing personal.

Ablong is already of no consequence to this project other then possible blaim if anything goes wrong. He has already claimed to be an "environmental expert" or is understood to be. That is already wrong and bad enough information it is an insult to our intelligence. Yes, you are right, it is already there but what do the experts say about this project. I have presented an opinion in my Negros Chronicle column from one of the experts on these line on the dangers of doing such project in high population dentsity areas. Would you be able to present a counter opinion from another expert? That is the only way we can resolve this issue with you.

Do not just simply wash your hands by passing the buck to those who done it and just because it is already there. "Unsa gub-on nato?" is an irresponsible comment. If you do not take pains to find out the truth...it will hurt you and your people in the future. If you can sleep with that, its fine with me. It is not the pinoy sigi mag reklamo that is the problem. It is the pinoy nga wa ga pakabana sa unsa'y gibuhat sa gobiyerno ang atong problema. We should partner with gov't in these things.

Ang imong attitude is your problem. Kinahanglan tag husto nga kasilyas, gi hatagan kag arinola. Dawat ka kay naa naman na! Thats how I see your arguments from here. worse pa gyud, you content yourself with it. Where is your dignity? (sorry for the personal question). I know you mean well, but when we discuss community issues, we should put the welfare of the majority as our priority, not what we personally feel. If you can present credible arguments from experts this project is safe, I will abide and even support more projects like these to be done all over the city. Is that a deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.