Dumaguete Info Search

Ways for an Expat to make some extra pocket money while living in the Philippines...

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by NovemberRain, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muddyfeet

muddyfeet DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I saw a website recently rating countries according to the difficulty in which to do business. There were 188 countries listed the US was number 4 I think and UK was also pretty high. Philippines was #143 behind even some African countries. There weren't any comments, just ratings but I'm sure the culture of corruption was one of the main reasons it is so difficult here.
    Dean

2. OP
    OP
    NovemberRain

NovemberRain DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I'm good with communications, computers, cell phones. I know a little programming, a little about repairing, and a lot about the different softwares available and what they can do for you. For example, I can set up your cell phone to call any place in the world for just 7p a minute. I can do things like that.

3. Rich321

Rich321 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This might be seen as a stupid question but don't foreigners need a work permit to legally work in the Philippines?? Or is that another gray area that everyone knows is law but no one enforces the law?

4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    If you come to the PI as the spouse of a citizen and obtain the 13A permanent resident visa you would actually have the right to work here if you wanted to. There are other visas that may allow it but they seem more restrictive.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    it also depends what job you want to do, as a scuba instructor who speaks certain languages it is not to hard to get temporary working permits if you have a nice letter from a resort or dive-shop.

6. OP
    OP
    NovemberRain

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's the cost involved for getting a 13A permanent resident visa, is it expensive?

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  8. OP
    OP
    NovemberRain

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. Any other links? That one explains the process but doesn't give much of an idea of cost.

9. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Philippines Permanent Resident Visa (13A)

Sounds about right....likely need to double/triple it to get it done before you die of old age....An agent with an established record of 'facilitating' may be worth engaging if you want to minimize time and aggravation...but that would cost more....

10. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Treasure hunting! Buy yourself a metal detector and you'll well on your way to filling a few hours, you can get good exercise, a suntan and lots of fresh air.........There'll be lots of suggestions from the locals as to where to look for Yamashita's gold etc!:D (I know you said sensible suggestions, but what the heck!):o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.