Dumaguete Info Search

Welcome Newer Eating Options for Duamguete...

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by OnMyWay, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    So I'm starting to see some new restaurants and coffee houses opening up here. Couple I tried recently:

Cafe Laguna. This is a nice welcome to Dumaguete. It's upper scale, CLEAN, good service, good food and in a nice setting. Even the bathrooms were very nicely decorated - I'll spare you the photos of those!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crispy kang kong
    [​IMG]

Eggplant Salad
    [​IMG]

Chicken adobo (My buddy said "this is the best adobo he's ever had in his 9 years of living in the philippines")
    [​IMG]

Bistek Tagalog
    [​IMG]

Buttered chicken
    [​IMG]

All the food, every bit of it was very good and we'll be back to Cafe Laguna soon. At the end they even asked if we enjoyed the meal!! Something that's just never asked at a filipino business. EVER. The meal ends with complementary hot tea, a nice touch.

[​IMG]

Total bill was 880Pesos

and, for those that might fancy a cup of coffee and a desert I can recommend Cafe Mamia on the boulevard. Apple crumble pie was 69Pesos and finished it off with a nice coffee. Relaxing environment, decent pie and service was friendly. At the front is a round table with 4 nice chairs, I wish they had continued that seating throughout. Signs say they also have WIFI. :-)

2. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you enjoy these sort of picture reviews I'll continue them. Please let me know. Maybe you have some you can contribute that are your favorites???
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Next Door!

:smile: Nice pics again Mark, Next door is one of my favorites, I know others are are not too keen but we as a family enjoy meals at Mamia. Members of the family ask if you have posted again, you are becoming quite famous in the household.:wink: for your Photos!

Jack P.:smile:

4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Jack, hope you had a great week. You are tweaking our interest in Mamia. We love Cafe Laguna (Mark's pics eloquent presentations create a hunger) but cannot afford to go there often. What have you found at Mamia that all of you enjoy? Is it pricey? Cheers.

5. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I agree with the Mamia's recommendation. It surprises me that it is not more popular. Last time I had their Phad Thai (the only Thai dish on their menu)...it was surprisingly good, although no where near spicy enough (next time, I will advise them to make it spicier). Also, second coldest beer on the boulevard and only P35 for a SML.

It's a nice place, but not expensive...lower prices than Why Not or Casablanca.

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hello Mark, great pictures and reviews, keep them coming.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I agree with Jimeve and the others, keep them coming
    I have the (maybe) bad habit to look into kitchens...one reason why you won't see me eating in some places, no matter how cheap and cold beer is.

On the other hand, the secret ingredient makes the burgers in "Spongebob Squarepants" so popular... so as a german, I might just be way to picky...

some "Restaurants" actually did improve since I am here, some others just stick to their stuff which was "hip" in Dumaguete 10 years ago. One very good thing is that most places buy their ice from suppliers which use purified water and do not produce it from the sometimes nasty tap-water in Dumaguete.

8. Maryfee

Maryfee DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Glad we don't look into kitchens. Never ate at Mamias-Restaurant, but enjoy the cafe Mamia

9. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Thanks for posting the pictures, Mark! Since I'm planning to stay at Hotel Nicanor in a couple of months it's good to see that they have a good restaurant right next door. Yay!

10. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Mamia's never did much for me. The food in the glass cases looks good, but seems lacking in taste somehow. :(

- That's why I lose weight each trip to PI.

Edit: I just remembered we stopped in once at least an hour after the posted opening time and the aircon was off. It was hot outside and hotter inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.