Dumaguete Info Search

What Fish Is This...

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by earlmj, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Looks like a family member of Brotulidae , atleast it has all the specific apprearances , but could be well just beloning to an other family again...
    Sometimes even I have questions on my mind like with this one.
    So for all of you ..
    WHAT FISH IS THIS.:confused:

Picture is taken some two years ago in my facilty in Manila .

Attached Files:

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Sorry mate..no idea...my money would be on a Runula.....given the dorsal...but can't say what species...Beautiful fish though!

3. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Garbonzo . Runula is the old non vaild genus name for PLAGIOTREMUS , in Common Sabbre tooth Blennies. These fish all have razorsharp teeth and many of them " graze " on other fish their scales/skin . Plus they have their mouth opening downwards . This fish has not these Stats. It resembles very much the genus of Dinemathichthys , of which very little is known accept they seem to be life bearers. check on its "feelers "..... I have some pictures on Pygmy Brotula that have the same bodyshape....

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Thanks for the lesson Earl! Yes, my books are waaay out of date....I live south of the tropics in Australia (Perth) and gave up marine tanks when I moved back here from overseas, just too expensive and time-consuming to pursue down here. It's been a while...Hopefully, when I retire you'll be giving great seminars to us refugees...then when we are all inspired by the knowledge you've shared, and the fantastic fish you teach us about...we can go out and catch some for our tanks!:smile:

5. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Thanks Garbonzo, glad if ever you come over to put up a nice Fishtank for you !!
    Still sad to see you are the only one that atleast tries to attempt so Identify.......

6. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Garbonzo and Earl MJ ... glad to meet brainiacs !

Hello my smart friends . My name is Kevin . I will be moving to Dumaguete and will be doing lots of diving . I hope to meet and know both of you . I want to take part in conservation / education programs in Negros Oriental . I love taking u/w photos and want to learn latin and specific species and genus`s . Thanks for your inputs and lets make some bubbles as soon as possible . Regards Kevin

7. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    could it be a sea water catfish? locally known as eto?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.