Dumaguete Info Search

What is this fish?

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    We went to Apo and stayed overnight to get 2 days snorkeling and diving there.

Just before I was going to get out of the Marine Sanctuary on the second day I spotted this fellow. I followed him around for a while to get some good shots.

Very small, only about 5 cm long. But he looked like someone you should be careful stepping on.

He was kind of flat, and swimming on the side a lot.

Anybody know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    maybe its a relation of the lionfish?

3. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    DRAGON or REINDEER WRASSE

Well , Dane here is your answer it is the JUVENILE Novaculichthys taeniourus common name as above. It belongs to the order of Labridae ( WRASSES )That is one of the larges order/Family of fishes that can be found also SCARUS ( Parrotfish) belong to the same order.. It dwells near to the sandy bottom and is highly apriciated amongst Marine aquarium hobbiists as it feeds on small stuff from the sand and as it also SLEEPS INSIDE the sandy bottom it is great for stiring up all preventing clogging of the bottom resulting in piling up Ammonia and Sulfates among others.. The adults are rather ugly and large.. THis fish can be found from the Red Sea , Indo Ocean , South Japan up to Hawaii . And is very common in Luzon (Batangas)

Very easy and good aquariumfish , gives lots of fun !! By the Way Very very good "shots ", indeed.

IT IS NOT POISINOUS !!!!!!!!!

For Yabs: Lionfish as we know them here are belonging to the family of Scorpenidae To that Family also belongs the Stonefish ( Synecea Verucosa /horibblis) and the well known lionfiosh Pterois Volitans ( Black Peacock) and the brown one ( P.miles/lunulata). The dwarf Lionfishes are looking cute and small but are "bad boys " too! Dendrochirus zebra among others. The most beautifull lionfish is the Pterois radiata of which I have attached a picture. It is more common on Bali and rare in the PH . Only place it is known from is Zambales and Bicol

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Marine Life Identification

Thank you Earl :smile:

Maybe we should open a new forum just for identification of marine life?

Just a place to post pictures of weird sea critters and see if somebody else can tell you more about it.

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Well , Like I said before , once I have settled in Duma .. I am very much "ïn " for a lot of thing like these... It's up to you .

6. rmlupu

rmlupu DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Please, I have several I would like to know more about. :D

Great shot Dane, I have never seen that fish before. Thanks.

7. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
  8. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Thank you Earlmj

Sounds very good, I am very happy to have a guy that knows everything about the marine life around here :smile:

I just set up the Identify Fish and Marine Life forum, so I am sure more members has questions as well :smile:

9. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    thumbs up

Great,isn't it an asset having an expert on the field here and living soon around Dumaguete.Thumbs up to earlmj :wink:

10. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Okay guys , just lets you it. I hope you will understand that I can only identify clear shots or when blur only the Genus not the species. Even Black and white shots (uhh?) is good enough. Beside that I would welcome once settled the idea about meetings in Duma to talk about PRESERVATION of the Reefworld .at most !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.