Dumaguete Info Search

What is this fish?

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vagabond

vagabond DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this beautiful (lion fish)creature is dangerous the venom of the spines is extremely painful.i accidentally stepped on this creature twice once in cagayan cello and punta bulata beach...watch your step or wear your booties when swimming espicially on shallow waters...sakit pa sa kinadlit!:D

2. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Dear Vagabond The Fish at Dane,s picture is not poisionous but the one I have attached , yes it is. The venom comes ONLY from the 3th and 4th dorsal spine ,and is in fact 28 times stronger then that of the Cobra , but as I wrote already NON termo resistant and thus .. This one ( P radita) you will hardly find in the Phils, however it has its own " look a like " which is the Pterois antennata , that especialy when juvenile looks pretty much as the P.radiata and is ofcourse just as painfull . If "only " painfull , likely you got "hit " by the NON venimous spines that can hurt you real deep. The sensation of being "pricked 'with the venom is like extreme swelling of the stung body part. Turning red , crasy much pain , loss of control of speech ,Motoric drop out and mal functions ,Hyper tension , headache, and more of these nice things. Treatment however is very very simple......

3. vagabond

vagabond DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you very much for the information earl.

4. OP
    OP
    The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Another Reindeer Wrasse

I just got back up from a snorkeling trip right outside the house, and I saw one more of these guys, this one was almost twice the size.

I also went to visit our Nemo family out there. Water was a little rough so they were not out playing that much, they just stayed in their anemone :smile:

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Reindeer Wrasse grow up to somewhat over a foot in size............

6. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My million thanks to The Dane and to the "Dean" Earl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.