Dumaguete Info Search

What kind of fish is this?

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by Batman, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently bought a piece of live rock from a local LFS. The guy packed it up for me and i was on my way. I got home about an hour later and unwrapped the rock upon inspecting it at home i noticed something sticking out of the rock that looked like a worm. I poked it and this fish fell out onto my floor. Somehow after an hour with no water this little guy is still alive. Problem is i have no clue what it is or how to really take care of it. I tried looking on online fish stores but i couldnt find anything like it. Can someone please tell me what kind of fish this is?

Attached Files:

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Looks like a small wrasse to me. About a zillion species...and young ones look different from the adults in many cases. If it is a wrasse, it'll likely want to bury itself in the sand/gravel at night. I can't match it to any books here at home...but I 'think' I've seen some of these in rocky areas. Never really pay much attention, looking for more colourful/bigger things...but it sure looks familiar. IF it is a wrasse...would explain it's toughness. For small fish only the Blennies would be better survivors...

3. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    'I recently bought a piece of live rock from a local LFS' What is live rock?

4. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So thats what it is? Years ago during one of my night dives (skin diving) Near Luneta A. in Dauin, while gathering somepeebles with my nephews (kids), I found this fish under some stones hiding. It doesn't have legs, about 2-3 inches in length. There were many of them there in the beaches. I wondered if someone have already discovered this specie. Thanks to Garbonzo and the thread starter for the info and pics.

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    To put it polite , most unlikely a Labridae ( Wrasse) since of the eyes and the type of mouth. It is a kind of Pseudochromis or other member of the smaller grouper like Labracinus .Size ranges somewhat 5 cm and up.. However I need a better picture to tell you which exact species.. Complete face is not to be mistaken for a WRASSE nor the total bodyshape or dorsal fin. These kind of shape and head only occurs with small grouper kind like the Pseudochromis are.. nice but bitchy.....looking close to the mouth one can easy see it is a preditor so NOT A WRASSE !! Lives indeed close to substrate.

Triggers fish are known ( by own experience) to stay alive even longer and even when a piece of rock is place in handwarm tapwater ....This happened sometimes when I was cleaning rocks in the early days from algae and needed to use a brush and warm water after soaking....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.