Dumaguete Info Search

What's Happened To El Dorado Resort??

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by OnMyWay, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    I kinda like El Dorado, possibly I'm still going to go there even if theres a limit on the free purified water.

2. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    ok, so here's how it ended.

My friend that was staying there went to the bar one night and ordered a rum and coke. When the bartender poured the drink, he noticed that there was a shot measurer on the 52Peso bottle of Tandauy. :-) That was enough for him...

The next day, he checked out and left El Dorado 3 nights early on his 7 night reservation.

The good news for me is that I've been out and about trying all sorts of new food options around town. I'll post some reviews soon. Casablanca is GREAT. :-)

3. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    If you like Casablanca, they have water pitchers and the staff comes around refilling water glasses......

4. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / -0
    Just a thought... never,never drink the water from the wells around Dauin and especially in the City !!! Bottled water is cheap, be safe..Miguel

5. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    Another to the list with waitresses that have water pitchers and fill glasses for customers:

Moon Cafe at Robinsons Mall.

El Dorado is the ONLY restaurant I've found that won't give a glass of water to a paying customer.

6. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    Have you ever heard of portion control? When a bar owner sets the prices of the drinks, it is based on profit, but also ensuring that the drink is properly served. By having a shot measurer as you call it, it ensures that each drink is the same. It also means that the customer gets a full shot instead of a half shot. It is called consistency.

A good bartender will pour 100 drinks the same. For each 750ml bottle, there should be 17 drinks poured. Some bars even go so far as to weigh the bottles to inventory the liquor based on a formula for each bottle that is already known. Apparently the staff do not free pour for a reason.

It is called standards.

Your friend could have asked for a double shot if he wanted one and after some head scratching on what to do with the coke and ice from the second drink they could have accommodated him.

I am no fan of El Dorado as we went there for lunch one time and they were very disorganized. When the wife ordered a standard Mango shake it was like a Chinese firedrill watching the staff run around looking for ingredients and then a blender to make it. Now that I think about it a little more, it was because we asked the girl at the front where the restaurant was and she pointed her lips to her left. We only found out we were at some open seating area (adjacent to the pool bar) that appeared to be a restaurant. When we went down to enjoy the beach we found the actual restaurant and were disappointed that we could have enjoyed the nice view and breeze if the girl at the gate would have used a little more emphasis in her lip pointing.. for sure we would have interpreted an exaggerated lip point meant go all the way to the beach!

However, I am a fan of getting what you paid for.

Since you mention Casablanca, you can bet that Gunther uses portion control in all of his servings and cocktails and does not arbitrarily plate a meal with some of this, some of that. It is measured in the kitchen. Otherwise he would have no idea what his food cost is and could not set a pricepoint for each item to insure that he makes a profit

I agree on the water issue though. Did you offer to pay for the second glass or was it understood it was not possible to fill the same glass twice?

This is the Philippines and funny things happen that leaves westerners scratching their heads. I am developing a bald spot by my left temple. I guess it is time to start scratching with the right index finger so I will be balanced because I am sure I will be scratching my head in disbelief for a number of years to come.

7. sirmoori

sirmoori DI Junior Member

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I and a friend went to El Dorado for lunch. We ordered off the menu, nothing special.
    1.5 hours later our food arrived.
    Waitress said the cooks were busy, only 8 customers including ourselves.
    Tables were dirty, we cleaned our table ourselves.
    Beer service was available only after we stood up and demanded service.
    Food was disgusting. Having lived in SE Asia for 45 years I do know what SE Asian food should taste like. El Dorado does not.
    I will never go back there and I do not recommend the place.
    Overpriced, low quality, incompetent staff, cooks who need to go back to elementary.
    A disgrace.

Sirmooi

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,226 / -0
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Apart from that... did you enjoy your self. :D

9. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    Last time I was there, the waitresses spend a lot of time b.s.ing with their workmates rather than pay attention to us. They're allowed to bring their kids to work and one of the kids was rummaging around on our beach chair as we swam moving our stuff around etc.

It's probably been 5 yrs since we were there..

10. sirmoori

sirmoori DI Junior Member

Retiree
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    No! A good site ruined by bad management, poor food, disinterested staff etc etc. Good view out to sea!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.