Dumaguete Info Search

what's this travel guide stuff?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by RHB, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    I have been using forums since there was only usenet and IRC chat, don't think I ever saw an administrator use the forum to plant phony posts to serve there own purposes. But I live and learn, every day. Besides I hear good things about those guys, and if it is what it takes to make the forum possible then perhaps it is acceptable( not that we can have a say about it).

Two constructive criticisms if I may.
    1. Don't post 20 posts all at once, it looks like spam and interupts the "conversation"
    2. Use a first person writing style in keeping with the forum format. less formality, you can still get all the important words in.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hehe JWL very smart of you, we pray for you that you get any information at the Travel Agent. As it is also a free forum nobody is forced to participate. Feel free and start hundred great new threads with a lot of content. Most people coming to this Forum looking exactly for this kind of information plus the input, corrections and opinions of members.
    Bringing it down to the point, we are not number one and two for this area because of discussions about Burgers and slipper-rules in Why not...
    people get here almost all information and help they need for a holiday, long term stay or even retiring, for sure more Information about the area than any travel agent worldwide cold give you.... unless they use this site as a source

cheers

Rhoody

3. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Travel Guide

What is phony about genuine uniquely written articles about the country we all love?

I thought about putting up a blog on Dumaguete Info for stuff like that, but then we would just split up info more, this forum has an ignore function, if you don't like Travel Guide's posts, then put him on ignore - you would of course be missing out as several of his articles turn in to a discussion - which was what we were hoping... To create a little more life here. It can not all be free popcorn, beer prices and hamburgers...

If you have never seen forums started by phony posts, then you have been living under a rock, there are literally hundreds of companies who specialize in forum-start packages, most of them post useless info and short comments because they have no experience or expertise in the topic the forum is about... THAT is what I would call phony, not relevant full articles about tourist spots in the Philippines.

The most he posted in one day after the board got going was 5 threads. That might be too much, but as we just got him back after a long break we need to find a good medium. I think the number will be 0-3 per day at some point in the future.

It is probably better as it is, because that way most members would realize that these are informative articles put up for discussion.

The Travel Guide articles are not meant to be keyword articles. They are meant to be informative. I have seen a few articles that looked like keyword stuffing though.

I have requested other popular tourist destinations, and let's face it, even if I ask for 50 Boracay articles, we will never rank for any Boracay related keywords anyways, but Boracay is a very popular tourist destination and a lot of people do multiple destinations on their travels in this fine country, so why not help them with some info as well.

I know one of the topics Travel Guide is going to touch sooner or later will be Filipino superstition, that is a very interesting topic, and I am sure that would catch a lot of attention among the members of this forum.

I have travelled Philippines extensively myself and can in a lot of cases give good and insightful information if someone would ask non-Dumaguete related questions also after reading an article on the forum. Why put ourselves in a little box?

Bottom line, my main goal here is to fill this site with current and useful information...

Now let me get back to my SML :D

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    'Flipino superstition' ,agree this will be an interesting topic.

5. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    ...like it's bad luck to sweep the floor after the sun has gone down or never point at the rainbow with your finger...:smile:

6. The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Oops I forgot something

I forgot an interesting and very important point.

Now before somebody starts to scream bloody murder and complain about us wanting content about other places of interest for tourists, please think about the following:

We have this website up to promote Dumaguete.

So if we do manage to get ranked and get traffic from search engines from articles about other parts and aspects of the Philippines. Then most visitors would want to investigate further and learn more about Dumaguete as well...

I got several emails over the past year from people who found Dumaguete because of this site and now has either planned to visit or visited Dumaguete already, so I must say we are succesful in promoting the City of Gentle People.

7. The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Filipino Superstition

LOL... There you go... I just mention Filipino superstition and within 30 minutes there are 2 replies :smile:

8. boyette

boyette DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

9. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12

That's it ,that only shows :D

10. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    Well said, as one who has not had the pleasure to visit Dumaguete just yet, I find all information most interesting, oh yes and a few jokes thrown in as well!
    keep them coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.