Dumaguete Info Search

When to visit for diving/weather/mangos?

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by dogdrjohn, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogdrjohn

dogdrjohn DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am planning a first time ever in the Philippines trip to the Dumaguete area for a week of diving, maybe with Pure Vida. When is the best time to visit the area for good weather, good diving conditions, and fresh mangos? I can get to Manila with mmiles in April 2008 - is that a good time to come? Or maybe Nov. 2008?
    thanks for ANY advice
    John

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    If I had to choose between April and November for diving...I'd pick April...you can still get a fair bit of rain during November...even the odd typhoon. April/May real good for diving. I'd avoid travelling a few days before - till a few days after - Easter. Gets really busy and a lot of Filipinos will be on the move to relatives, friends, etc plus tourists. Inter-island travel can get difficult...hotels and resorts busy.

Never had a problem finding Mangoes anytime of year in the cities..

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Mangoes

There's always mangoes all yr round .Although mango is a seasonal fruit,but because it has big demand for export and local consumption , the mango industry did eventually evolve its way to augment its bulk of production by introducing some type of mango flower inducer,kind of solution of chemicals for it to flower good and bear fruit even out of season. But it’s not the end of the story .When fruiting out of season ,meaning it’s facing unfavorable conditions which has direct effect of the state of the fruit and the harvest.This speaks of increase number of particular pests and types of fungi which are potentially destructive to the fruits .Hence mango growers resort to more use of chemicals to rid off the unfriendly bugs and fungi .Mangoes hates continuous dump during rainy season. So mangos produce out of season have likely more chemical residues in them than the ones produce naturally on season .Better ,when eating out of season mangoes wash them very well. I prefer organically produced mangoes , they are much sweeter too and seem to have sense of relief of not ingesting various chemical residues. Enjoy the mangoes.:cool:

4. OP
    OP
    dogdrjohn

dogdrjohn DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    when is mango season?

Great info newt, but WHEN IS mango season in the Philippines?
    I now have tickets to Manila arriving March 31, leaving April 7 so hopefully good mangos, but should be great diving

5. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Went to the Philippines month of May and my younger brother had a harvest sometime on the 3rd week of the month. But there are mangoes of different variety all year long.:wink:

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Mango season is around April to May or could reach bit of early June,dogdr.

Didn't know about these new variety of mangoes that bear fruit naturally all year round crissar, must be good,there must be article of it in agri journals . But all mango biz in Negros and other places do use mango flower inducing chemicals for fruits all year round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.