Dumaguete Info Search

where are the sea birds?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by RHB, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Ha ha ha funny. Actually its owned by the Montaño's, a retired general.

2. juneau

juneau DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, this post is 4 months old but I'll reply anyway since it also suits my interest. Swany is correct. There are few seabirds because of limited food.

I grew up in Northern California USA and this area is teeming with seabirds. Because of upwelling of deep ocean currents near the shoreline, this area has all of the nutrients that allow phytoplankton to grow, and that is the start of the food chain that creates enormous food supply for all other sea creatures to flourish.

I had the same questions about a lack of seabirds when I first traveled to Hawaii. It seems as if the reefs are thriving, and they are, but they don't have the total biomass that supports the giant schools of anchovies, sardines, herring and shrimp that we see here in NorCal. This large food supply supports the great numbers of seabirds that I normally asssociate with the ocean.

That's also why it is great to dive in the Philippines and where you can normally find clear water, and in NorCal you can barely see your hand in front of your face when you're in the water.

I was in Coron, Palawan in early January. I saw one solitary tern making the rounds trying to pick up a few fish. I hope he didn't go away hungry.

3. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Biomass to support sea life also comes from detrital leaves from land and mangrove plants. Detrital leaves eventually decompose and provide nutrients to the sea. Clearing forests are detrimental not only to the land ecology but also to the nearby seas.

4. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Welcome to the forum juneau. Where in northern california are you from? Well, maybe we're neighbors. I'm from there too, but originally from Dumaguete. Enjoy! :smile:

5. juneau

juneau DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi swany. I'm currently in Berkeley CA. I am wishing I was living in Dumuguete. LOL

6. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi again juneau,

Well, why not make your wish come true? :wink: Have you been there before? You would love Dumaguete, I'm sure. We live in Stockton (just 80 miles south of San Francisco). My husband and I moved here from southern california twelve years ago, and love it here. :smile:

7. juneau

juneau DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I spent a week in Dumuguete in July at the El Dorado resort. Dumuguete is on my short list when I retire next year. It seemed to have a nice small town flavor and seemed more relaxing that some other places I've traveled in the PI.

I plan to spend some more time there soon.

8. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi juneau,

Good luck on your next visit to Dumaguete soon, and have a wonderful time. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.