Dumaguete Info Search

Where have the badjows (beggers) gone?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by booann, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booann

booann DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed that about two months ago the badjows(beggers) are gone, this was overnight, they just vanished. There use to be so many, mostly on the Blvd. I am not saying I miss them. They could get annoying. But nobody seems to know who or how this was done, Who ever is responsible, I want to thank them. It is much nicer here for that. There are still a few local beggers but they don't bug like the badjows do. Enjoy sunday's brown out!

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    What's up with the power on Sunday anyways? What are they "fixing" this time?

3. OP
    OP
    booann

booann DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ?

I don't know why there will be a brown out. Just know that it is suppose to be sunday from 8-4. sucks, but happens sometimes.

4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Must be an overload issue, with all the karaoke machines blasting out.:rolleyes:

5. Rarity54f

Rarity54f DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Well, they must have relocated since the people of Dumaguete are no longer catering to them. I wonder if it's an action coming from the government but it's a lot better not to be swarmed by so many of these people. I hope they are now getting the right help. Regarding the brown-out, we can only grumble because it seems to have become part of Dumaguete life.

6. Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I hope that is true that the badjaos are gone, they need to be sent back to sulu or sabah where they came from originally.

7. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Besides of the regular beggers, the city so now and then is flooded with professionals coming from Mindanao.
    They come with 2 or 3 pumpboats, park them in South Poblacion Bacong about 100 m south of the resthouse of Bian Yek and start their work in Dumaguete.
    It are always "mother with child" or some children together and an adult male is always around to collect their "income" to make sure that it is not used "unwisely" and also in case they are rounded up by police there is no money discovered.
    After some time they are sended back from where they come (but i guess they just proceed to another city)
    Don't make the mistake to give them some food because it will not be appriciated.
    Another bunch of "professionals" are the pickpocketers that strike down the city during fiesta's and special events, they use the same tactic of passing through their proceedings to a compagnion.

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    there are no real changes, it's each year the same... many go back to mindanao in low season (starting may) and come back for high-season in november.

9. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    It can actually be quite an impressive routine. One woman frequently pursuing her occupation near Lee Superplaza is actually a neighbour of mine. I'm curious about several things. She works in rags yet leaves and arrives here decently dressed. Where does she change? Where does she keep her non-working attire, while on the job?

Definitions:

Brownout - low voltage; and

Blackout - NO VOLTAGE. Such as today.

Why can't we get it right?

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    In the Philippines they use the term brownout (for a blackout) because of the frequency it happens, on-off-on-off-on-off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.