Dumaguete Info Search

Where to buy home solar system components delivered at your doorsteps

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by SOLARTECHCEBU, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Cheap or poor quality solar panels are not a good investment. The payoff on a solar system is years down the road. If a system does not last longer than 20 years and is not guaranteed to last that long, it is a pointless and not a cost effective or even smart purchase.

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  3. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    There's a solar display set up right inside the door of Citi Hardware for those wanting to go in and get some info there as well...

Cheers,
    Mark

4. progmeister

progmeister DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Solar power is the way to go especially with a useless electricity provider like Noreco. Oh, and Negros have a geothermal plant.

5. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    The ONLY solar panels I would consider buying are those that are manufactured or sold in the U.S. I can get better pricing there, and even including freight, it is cost effective to buy solar panels, controllers, and inverters there, rather than in the Philippines! Most come with performance guarantees guaranteeing the performance of the panel for the full length of the warranty. How would one even attempt to get any kind of warranty honored in the Philippines 5, 10, 20 + years down the road,
    especially on products made in China!!!???

Again......without a quality product with a WARRANTY that someone will actually stand behind, buying a solar system in the Philippines is a waste of time and a lot of money, in my opinion.

6. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Buying in the US and after, let say 10 years, claiming for guarantee-compensation?
    I still want to see how that will work.

7. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

It is through the manufacturer in the U.S., and not the vendor. All manufacturers in the U.S. that manufacture solar panels are very large multi-national corporations that are rapidly growing. The chance of them not honoring a warranty because they are out of business is very slim. Also there are consumer protection laws in the U.S. that are heavily enforced, unlike the Philippines.

Another point is that some U.S. government agencies and some big companies have invested heavily in solar panels for their own buildings. I highly doubt they would do it, when spending millions of dollars, if they thought the company would not be around in the future to warranty their product.

8. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Talking about guarantee, for solar panels the guarantee is:
    Maximum power is not less than 90% in 10years and 80% in 25years
    No word of mecanical failure (water leaking)or any other problem.

Besides off that, most likely you will find in the "fine print":
    If the item is not installed by a certified technician or one authorized by our company the warranty is null and void

9. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2

1) 80-90% is generally true. The term and percentages vary with each manufacturer. Some are warranteed up to 30 years now also.

2) The "certified technician" term I've never seen in any of the solar panels guarantee paperwork in the U.S. There are certifications now for solar technicians, but it is such a vague criteria. All solar panels companies require the "defective" panel to be returned to the manufacture to be checked for output and signs of abuse, but I've never seen them ask for proof that the panel was installed by a "certified technician". How would one prove the install anyways? Pictures? Video, along with a close-up of the serial number of each panel? Not likely!

I would like to know how many lumens of light they use to test it with, as the light intensity in effects the power output.

Some come with a leak warranty also as long as the glass and frame are not damaged.

It pays to read any warranty paperwork before purchase and to research the manufacturer so one knows what one is getting.

10. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    A "defective" panel would have to be shipped back to the manufacturer for testing with a dated proof of purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.