Dumaguete Info Search

Where to buy home solar system components delivered at your doorsteps

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by SOLARTECHCEBU, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Solar energy, on the internet you can find hours, if not days of reading material on this topic.
    Most people ever heard that it takes 20 years to recover the cost of investment.
    Let's take the figures of solartechcebu.
    An installation of 3 KW produces around 4 to 5 KW a day / KW(solarpanels)or 15 KW/day on this installation in optimal circumstances.
    15 KW at 7 pesos/KW (actual price in Dumaguete) = 105 pesos /day.
    794,000 pesos (18,000 US $) : 105 pesos = 7,562 days = 20 years and 8 months.
    Perhaps that some experts can convince you that you recover your installation in 4 years.
    Yes i know that the price of electricity will be higher in 20 years time.

2. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Good info on the realistic time for ROI firefly. I guess the reason for having the solar panels for some people would be the brownouts and blackouts. That would be my motivation.

On the flip side (no racial slurs intended), for a fraction of that price you could buy a nice genset that runs on LPG with an automatic switching mechanism with no batteries to replace other than the one for the starter.

On a sidenote, if the batteries are 40% of the cost of the install and they last 7 years then you have to add another $14,000 (2 replacements to the price to last the 20 years for the ROI, but this would then extend the payback time to 36 years, which would require at least two more battery changes and new panels since they only last 25 years. It would seem that you could never recoup the investment at that rate.

I will take the LPG generator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.