Dumaguete Info Search

Where to buy: Scooter with sidecar or Tricycle

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by nomad4ever, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomad4ever

nomad4ever DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking to buy a used Scooter (around 125cc) with sidecar or a used Tricycle.

Does anyone know, where is a good place in/near Dumaguete to look for one?
    I checked at the Rusi Garage opposite Holy Child Hospital, they can get a sidecar brand-new for 28.000 Peso. Would take about 4 weeks though. A used Scooter bike would probably cost anything between 25-40K Peso.

Does anyone have an idea how to get both together cheaper?
    I wouldn't mind even having a private Tricyle instead of a sidecar. Just want to transport my fiancee and luggage stuff a bit more comfortable. :D

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    go to one of the countless welders in town where they myake the sidecars. If you deliver the material the totas cosy shouldnt be more than 20k

you also dont want it on a Scooter, that aint work out. you need a 155 cc bike at least, used ones are available at Rusi Garden

3. OP
    OP
    nomad4ever

nomad4ever DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I was thinking also of getting one of those Kawasakis. Used sidecar should be cheaper than a shiny-brand new thingy.

Alternatively, there are so many Tricycles on the road here, it must be possible to buy one of those 2nd or 3rd hand, no? Are the tricycle driver usually the owners of their own vehicles? Or are they more something like 'employees'. Stupid questions maybe, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the situation. :-)))

4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    If you mean Pedi-cabs they are licensed by the city and my understanding is that there are limited amount of licenses available.

5. Maximus

Maximus DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Pedicabs - Tricycles they're the same, not sure why it's called pedicab in Dumaguete when you don't use a pedal to make it go, every else in the Philippines calls it tricycle.

If it's for private use license shouldn't be limited.

Motorcycle with side car - I think the idea came from the Wehrmachtsgespann, a WW2 German motorcycle with sidecar.

6. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    think many lease often of family or it is a family owned thing

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    there are some trike-tycoons in Duma who own between 5 and few hundred trikes and rent them out to drivers for 150 - 200 peso. The driver need to pay for gasoline oil and repairs
    Most trikes at night-time are individually owned.

cheers

Rhoody

8. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Have you ever driven a pedicab or tricycle. They are not easy to drive and it takes some getting used to. It's definately not a picnic to drive. If you want a cab built bring the bike to bebes welding shop on the nat hwy between don bosco and eloriente st. on the opposite side. They can design aq cab to suit your needs

9. OP
    OP
    nomad4ever

nomad4ever DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never driven one, true! But I'm flexible and would take my time to learn it right. it just sounds like a convenient way to get around and explore more than one island, without carrying all my luggage on my back and my fiancee and hers on top. A car is certainly too expensive for me and everything with jeepneys or public transport too much a hassle. ;-)

I figured out so far, that I can get a brand-new sidecar (aka tricycle without the bike) for 28K Peso at Rusi Garage, but it takes them 4 weeks to manufacture. Found a guy who is selling his old one, pretty run-down, but not too bad condition (except the wheel), but he's asking too much (almost like new).

Guess for a 155ccm Kawasaki or similar I would have to invest around 25-35K also, depending on how old (don't want a new one). Plus the costs to attach the sidecar.

Or does anyone know anyone who is willing to sell the whole thing at a discounted price? Can be a bit older, as long as it's still going strong.

Thanks for your help so far, guys! ;-)

10. OP
    OP
    nomad4ever

nomad4ever DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, so I found my sidecar/tricycle. Only the bike is missing, but I have a few options already. Now another problem surfaced:

I checked at almost every dealer in town reg. a 125cc/150cc bike. If they have one, the registration/transfer of ownership via them can take anything from 1 to 6 months. During that period I will get a plate ('Under registration' or something like that) and they will keep the original papers, but am not allowed to use the bike in other districts. They told me that even in Bayawan or Bais I will get trouble, when showing up with a plate like this.

Rusi take between 2-3 months, because they do that via their office in Cebu. The Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer near the LTO takes 2 months, they do via their HQ in Manila.

Hmmm, I was planning to drive around the whole country; does it mean, I have to wait a few months in Duma first, before I can go on my own? What would you advise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.