Dumaguete Info Search

Why move to Dumaguete?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Bandit, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seriously..it's more expensive there than in the US!

Before you start flaming me :mad: remember that I lived in Dgte for 2 yrs..

Single story homes for sale in Dgte for P10M or more ?? That's some sort of bargain??

Vacant land at even P1600sm is over $100,000 an acre

Gasoline's higher in PI than in the US

Electricity costs more

Way too many days when there's NO electricity (brownouts)

Imported food costs more

No refunds allowed at most local stores for the iffy quality of the cheap imported from China junk they sell

Police force driving around in cars with no doors, poorly equipped, under-funded AND crime is on the increase. Crime is now more of the organized type using cell phones and tips against YOU, rather than just crimes of opportunity

No good medical care available once you're outside the city

Filipino courts usually favor Filipinos, putting the expat at a disadvantage

Once you get over the living near the ocean part, what's left? You give up so much more by leaving your home country.

I really don't see any advantage. You could move to a small town in KY, TN etc and lower your cost of living without losing all the advantages and offerings available in the US.

My question then is quite genuine:

What was so bad where you came from that moving off to a place where there's so much less - at higher prices mind you, is better?

2. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yeah? I've been living in Dumaguete my entire life and i did not encounter any crimial or violent incidents to my person. Why is the verdict of the judge against you? Can you explain?

3. Kenny

Kenny DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Bandit,
    I am about to leave one of those Tennessee garden spots you speak of, 100 yards from the Holston River in the Appalachin foot hills. You can have my share. I'll trade the ignorance of Tennessee Law Enforcement for the vagaries of the Philippine justice system.
    Recent example. A friend visiting from Holland got stopped in Knoxville and when he presented a Dutch drivers license along with an international license the cop didn't know what it was and issued a ticket for an invalid license. He was not allowed to continue driving and my daughter had to take the wheel. We called the traffic court and they didn't know about international drivers licenses either. The Dutch embassy has given us the law covering this but he will still have to go to court over 100 miles from here to answer this stupidity. The average cop in the Philippines is better educated and twice as smart as the buffoons in uniform patroling this area. Most have an IQ to match their hat size.
    I lived in the Philippines for over 15 years and in other countries as well. If you try to create a duplicate of your lifestyle in the US it is expensive. If you are willing to assimilate into the filopino life style it is much more affordable. The best way to have it like home is to stay there.
    Kenny

4. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hey Kenny, you are great, and I salute you for voicing out your opinion.
    Thanks.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    man you may have been 2 years in Dumaguete, but you never LIVED here...

4 bedroom nice garden 5000 Peso a month, I can't comlpain. Power 800, water 200 a month, internet 2000
    hmmm around 200 dollar, yeah I hope you stay cheaper in the US...

Imported food and drinks chearper than in a german (low level) restaurant. 0,5 liter German beer 150 peso, not 5 Euro.
    Who buys appliances in cheap chinese markets and complains really needs good medical care, cause there is something wrong with this persons thinking. A room covered with thick rubber-matts could help too.

I ve been to countless local fiestas, celebrations and hang-outs and was always welcome... crime??? yes there is, but not more and less than anywhere else.

I alsway lough about people coming here as a peso milionair and wonder that there are brownouts in a development country... buy a generator if you don't like that.

For people that expect that stuff you do and those who can't adjust to a tropical laid back country it is better to stay in a nice retirement-home in their country and take some knitting-classes.

Nothing wrong with that, starting completely new in the last third of someones life is not for everybody. you gave it at least a try and it did not work for you.

being somewhere does not mean living somewhere (hehe almost poetic)

cheers

Rhoody

6. liquido

liquido DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Bandit your probably right in all that you say..but isnt it worth the sacrifice for the real reason we are here??? The Woman...

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The reason I really love the Philippines is that the people are much friendly.:smile:
    as apposed to westerners. no way i am going to stay in my country and be afraid to go outside. :eek:

8. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I would say what Bandit said is true,
    and to say that cost of living there is expensive than in US, it depends of what standard of living you like to have in PI.

9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Since joining the forum its true that house and lot prices have doubled in some parts maybe thats because this forum promotes friendship tolerance equality etc etc. Most expats want the same, a more simple way of life without hassle and as peaceful as possible.I think its true to say that the cost of living has gone up all over the world and in some cases that has meant real hardship for the very poor just be thankful for what you have.....JB

10. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks to Bandit for initiating a thoughtful thread which is bound to create some interesting exchanges.

For many, liquido has hit the nail squarely on the head: THE WOMAN. I've been "dagget-ed" fair and square and I'm grateful for that. I told friends in Canada that I would go to the end of the earth for the right woman. I did not expect God to take me up on my offer or to choose Dumaguete as my destination. He did.

Anne and I determined some time ago that we would spend the rest of our days together. The various impediments to that prospect are merely detail: detail which must be dealt with, but subordinate to the main objective.

Whatever brings you to Dumaguete must exist on its own terms and for its own sake. To re-create someplace else here is a futile and hopelessly impossible task. Don't bother. You are asking for disappointment.

I have already made some mistakes in adjusting to life in these islands and in this city. There will be others. Each of you will make some too. Rejoice in them. They are part of living.

Tennessee it ain't. Ottawa it can never be. Hosanna!

Let's celebrate the uniqueness of our chosen home!