Dumaguete Info Search

Why move to Dumaguete?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Bandit, Jul 27, 2008.

1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    We posted on the same day. :wink:

Actually, though the U.S. has been rising against many of the major currencies, it hasn't been moving a huge amount against the Peso for a couple of months. I has been sticking to within 42 - 45 peso's.

2. PatMcTap

PatMcTap DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey;

My 5-year plan puts me somewhere else in 5 years. Dumaguete seems as likely a contender as any, so I am looking for a serious discussion of what were the most difficult changes to make in adapting to a new culture: Lack of TV? Too many women who smile at you?

The cost of living as an expat is also of interest. From other discussion boards, I hear that $700USD seems a good sum to work with. How does that square with your experience? (1 adult, and some visiting kids. Likely a local wife, if I get lucky and find someone) I'm thinking small 2 br place. I would prefer a more country setting, but would change that if security was an issue.

I'm not a sickly guy, but I wonder at access to medical care. Cost & quality for expats?

Things to do... I expect to retire from writing software here in a few years. What opportunities are there for SW guys in PI? (Fall-back is starting the last (third) career; writing)

Any other advice or comments you would like to add would also be appreciated.

Pat

3. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I haven't been there before, so lets tackle with the obvious.

How about the fact that you are moving to a poor country, even by S.E. Asia standards. Of the countries in the region, the Philippines is one of the poorest. I don't see how anything could be a shock more than the poverty.

This question is unanswerable. It has less to do with WHERE you are and more to do with WHO you are. I live in the U.S. for less than $700 (live with roommates, don't drive and hate the consumer lifestyle) does that tell you anything? Not really.

Again, you are talking about a country far below the standard of living index than any Western nation. The bigger cities will give you better health care. The farther you get from that, the more screwed you are in an emergency. If health were a big issue, I would probably look at Cebu or at least Dumaguete.

You probably don't want to work for the local rates. I would look at freelance/consulting/contract work from outside the Phils. I am a web developer, I don't think I would ever need to retire from that sort of work.

4. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    So the avatar isn't you.:smile:
    Btw: don't be too sure about these statements, especially if you haven't been here yet.
    But I can only wish you all the luck and let your dreams be fulfilled.
    My advice: review your actual plans after some time you have been here and decide THEN if it is still the best thing you can do here to reach that goal.
    Things are (certainly in a country like we live in) quite different from the westerners perception being still abroad (at home).
    This also means ..... have some back up for cases it does not work out the way you expected.

5. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    This month! Eyeballing a ticket for the 23rd in fact. :cool:

6. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    And what about my first remark: "So the avatar isn't you".
    Have a nice trip to our perceived paradise.
    I can't stop anyone who wants to move to Dumaguete.
    I know, Yabs will not at all support me in this attitude :D

7. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Jeff Bridges (a.k.a. "Jeffrey Labowski", a.k.a. "The Dude" from the movie "The Big Lebowski")

8. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Ah, sorry, I thought you were joking. :wink:

The avatar is Jeff Bridges in a scene from The Big Lebowski. In the movie, his name is "The Dude." It is a great movie.

Heh, thanks for wishing me a nice trip. Don't worry, I won't open an ugly bar. :wink:

In fact, I would like to be spending most of my time traveling S.E. Asia. Dumaguete will just be home between trips. :wink:

9. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Ah, Tim beat me to it. :wink:

10. jellyfish

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Thanks Dude and Timn8ter.
    It's off-topic I know , but no, I was not joking.
    Did not see that movie but will certainly want to see it now.
    Jeff Bridges is one of those moviestars I do appreciate.
    But I don't watch a lot of movies (mainly only during the long flights between Europe and Asia :smile: )
    I can list many reasons why I did move to Dumaguete, but it's hard to put them in the right order of importancy.
    It's like with falling in love: what is the main reason ? Mostly it's a complex of reasons and attractive characteristics.
    The feeling was so good and it has not been deteriorated, even not by the many and smokey tricycles + motorbikes :D