Dumaguete Info Search

Working as au-pair

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by fundiver198, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Lars,
    no need to apolopgise, adult people can argue in one thread and can agree in another, no prob with that.Discussing and Sharing knowledge and facts, thats all what it about here. The call-center and oversea-thread are fantastic examples with great input of you and other members.

I don't tell people what they shoud do, I simple say what I do, to share also expierience and provide a source. For example the name-problem in the birthcertificate is so common here (same my girlfriend had).
    When I came to the PI i was no Scuba-instructor or working online, my diveshop in PG and the Dane (for friendship and webstuff) helped me a lot and still helping me in many ways, and I give back what I can. The things are no secrets and can be learned by anyone who can read and write. I was teaching 7 Pinoy divemasters and they all have a great income. As I was never employed here I got the same commision for diving and teaching as my pinoy DM's and Instructors. At the end of the month they had more than me, cause "poor" philippino DM get more tip than "long-noses". we talk about a Diveshop focused on the American market, where you can expect 200$-300$ tip for diving with a american group of 6 divers for a week. And you know what, I don't mind that they get more. They are great guys and deserve it and for me it was still enough.

Actually I do think the Philippines are for me, (and at that period of my life), the best country to life in, that is the reason why I choose it. I do not like the long-nose-community mentioned before. Why, I give an example (not for you cause I guess you are expierienced enough just trying to explain.)

You (or I) sit in your (my) favourite Pub in Denmark (germany)
    On the neighbortable 6 foreigners (let's say 2 from Poland, 2 whit russians, 1 rumanian one Indian) talking for hours how bad everything in Denmark (Germany) is about the problems in the offices, expenses, wasted time,how to get their wifes, kids here and all that well known stuff.
    What would you think listening to this kind of chat for hours. I don't know about you, but I would think (and probably say) Get the f... out of my country.
    We know the places at the Boulevard with what kind of guests they are filled at certain times a day. The waitresses and workers there have to listen to that crap the whole time day by day by day. What they should think about us... probably the same we think about the "guests" in our favourite pub... and having some good parties after closing hours with the CoCo Amigos staff.... they do think like that... Just funny that they invite, even I am not a "regular" there.

Lars, It was not my intention to attack you, and again I appreciate all input, help and sources of good discussion. Anyway good luck to find a solution for your hous, I shuold start another thread about finding a appropriate house as I also ran through a quite funny story when I was looking for one by myself...

cheers

Rhoody

2. OP
    OP
    fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Hi Rhoody

Hi Rhoody

As a matter of fact, we completely agree about the kind of foreigner, that you describe, the one who is doing little more with his life than drinking all day and complaining.

Let me put it this way: After 4 years in Dumaguete, I actually do not have any close friends among the entire ex-pat community in Dumaguete. Simply havn`t found any real soulmates I guess. When I am home, I spend time with my fiancee, our kids, her/our philippino friends and her family, and thats it.

We go in both Coco Amigos and Why Not regularly, but I am not sitting there and complaining about anything, and we are friends with the staff in both places.

I have one more thing, that I don´t like however, and that is people, who come to the Philippines as turists, spend a month or so sitting on a beach and talking to the pretty young waitresses, and then think, that this country is a paradise. This is where I went overboard, because I indirectly accused you of being one of this kind, which obviously you are not.

I am sure, that you love the country, and that it is the right place for you to be. However, with emotions calmed down a bit, you properly also will agree, that this country is far from being perfect, and that improvements are much needed in many areas like quality of public education, quality of public health care, quality of government, effectiveness of administrative system, level of employment, level of salaries, level of crime, level of corruption etc.

As for your philippino dive master colleagues, their earnings are properly on level with that of a professor in a university or a doctor, so they are way better off than the majority of workers in other professions. The dive industri actually is one of the few professions, where you CAN earn a decent living as a worker in the Philippines. Unfortunatly there are not many others.

The reason why so many philippinos are working abroad is not, that it is particularly easy for them to get out of the country, but that it is difficult for them to find a decent job at home, even if they have a good educution.

Me and my famliy are actually living as an OFW family at the moment, and for the exactly same reasons as all the other OFW familyes.

Best regards, Lars

3. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I know it's off topic but i just want to add my views about the as$hole foreigners who choose to stay a long time in the Philippines and all they do is complain. These foreigners are of many diferent nationalities and make no attempt to become part of their local community or understand the culture or language. I'm guessing that some of them are there for economic reasons, can't afford to live in their own country or can't afford to get drunk in their own country. Others are just not suited to the climate or the conditions in the Phils. They are an embarassment to people like me and other kanos on this board who love the Philippines and its people. Yes they should go home.

But of course we don't wear rose coloured glasses and not everything is perfect so we need to be able to openly discuss some of the negatives. Lars and Rhoogy you raise some excellent points and I can see that both your viewpoints have been formed from living closely in a filipino community.

4. dmtime71

dmtime71 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As an expat, I was told to keep a low profile, and not become a part of the community if I could help it.

5. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    That I have heard from other ex-pats as well and they still keep saying that after even living here for sometimes more than 15 years.
    I disagree, but understand that I COULD think differently when my personal situation was a bit like theirs ( I mean: less neighbourhood, family, friends etc....).
    But maybe it's also very dependent from the capabilities you have to adjust your life.
    I hope I will be able to adapt.
    Started today to learn Visaya :D by taking lessons twice a week.
    To get Filipino friends (the not educated ones) you often need to talk their language.

6. dmtime71

dmtime71 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is this guy from US who would always flaunt that he is friends with this police chief, that army general..
    After a year or so, it was precisely those bigwigs who conspired to rip this guy off by blackmailing.
    Thus, I was told to keep a low profile, be friendly and courteous, but don't by buddy buddy with neighbors and local bigwigs.

7. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Who says that it's impossible to combine these things with a good friendship with local people " It's up to you HOW YOU behave to them.
    And...yes be more carefull with the powerfull ones (just like home, is'nt it ? :D )

8. OP
    OP
    fundiver198

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Alcoholic retirees

I absolutly agree, and these people are an embarassment to all "longnoses" living in Dumaguete, not just the americans. The most embarassing behavior, I have ever seen in Why Not, was committed by a dane and a guy from New Zealand. In all fairness it should be said though, that these alcoholics are a minority. You also see many longnoses dining in, say, Coco Amigos, with their wifes or girlfriends, and behaving in a perfectly normal way.

I guess we should pety on people, who might be in a kind of "excile", because they can not afford a decent retirement in their home country. But hey, maybe cut down the amount of drinking a bit, and then other solutions might open up. Nomather where in the world you are, a minimum of politeness towards other people is required.

9. OP
    OP
    fundiver198

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Becoming part of the community

It is a very good advice to stay clear of all powerfull people in a SE-asian country. These are, as you mention, usually the ones, who really rip you off after being your "friends" for a while. Or they can just get you into a lot of trouble, if for some reason there is a disagreement. For petes sake, do not let any powerfull people "help" you with making investments or setting up a business. This almost always ends in tears and with empty pockets.

However, the community is much more than the mair, the army general and the chief of police. And of course you should try to become part of the civil community, where you live. Most philippinos are really nice and warm people.

10. dmtime71

dmtime71 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sometimes it doesn't matter how nice you are.
    People out to rip people off don't care if you are nice or not.
    And on a scary note: most robbers are from your own neighborhood who know your daily schedule.
    Keep low profile, but be nice and courteous. I think this is a good advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.