Dumaguete Info Search

Would You Be Offended Or Flattered?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by OnMyWay, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Many of you know I do photography and I spend considerable amounts of money, time and energy on getting certain shots I want. It's a personal hobby for me that I enjoy at my own expense and I'm not paid. Given that, read this below and tell me...would you be offended or flattered if this happened to you??

"It's been brought to my attention that Dems Demecillo has written a front page article for the June 19th edition of the Negros Chronical Titled, "Losing Market Eyes Hike In Stall Rentals" which features my photography work off my photography website. Not only did Mr. Demecillo steal the photo, he's also removed my personal watermark off the photo and now published it without giving any credit at all. He's taken it for his own work.

I would like to know how Mr. Demecillo and The Negros Chronicle would like to reply.

The original photo can be found, compete with my watermark on my personal website:
    All sizes | Dumaguete Public Market | Flickr!

And here's Mr. Demicillos use of my photo after he took liberty to edit it and remove my personal watermark:
    Negros Chronicle - community newspaper in Dumaguete and Negros Oriental

Sincerely,
    Mark Vinton"

PS> Not even a courtesy reply from Negros Chronical or Mr. Demicillos. :-(

2. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Mark What you should be asking is "Does anybody know a good Solicitor".
    Maybe they don't know about Copyright!
    Make a deal become the official Photographer for them.....wish you luck....JB

3. OP
    OP
    OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    No, not at all. Quite the opposite....I would be happy to invite the writer to lunch and contribute photos to the newspaper. I have over 26,000 stock photos on my hard drive for them to pick from.

Ethics is not something I would ever compromise. I've had many requests to contribute my photos and I'm quite flattered by those jounalists that like my photography and are professional enough to simply ask....

Thanks,
    Mark

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Mark Copyright is Copyright.
    Many years ago I had a collection of Beatles, Rolling Stones etc photographs.
    Today they would be worth a lot of money, circumstances change, protect your copyright!
    an old saying is "Flattery will get you anywhere".......but it dont pay the bills

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, give it the reaction it deserves, ignore it. We see DI pictures all over the net and newspapers without credit, it is hard to do something against it.

Another issue are the ToU. most of that "free" sites have the right to do with the pictures whatever they want. User agreeing with their sign up to the ToU and it does not matter what somebody writes on a picture.

Flickr, facebook, and many more can use your pictures for almost whatever they want as soon you use their service and serverspace to store them. none of those sites is a charity company which is happy to have daily 180 million babypictures eating the first cake and smearing it all over them on their servers. (you know what I mean, I don't talk about your shots).

Back to that newspaper, of course they can't use your picture and you can find in the same issue a guy quote:"demanding stronger punishment for internet crimes"...

That sentence was the guy who named a restaurant and it's owner (even he never was at that place at the boulevard according to his own words) that it was this specific restaurant another valuable member found pubic hair in a dish.

The valuable member never ever mentioned a restaurant-name, but that guy who demands stronger punishments jumped on a specific place.

Seeing your above post and another happening at the NC http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/general-chat/negros-chronicle-just-record-5992.html

nobody there cares at all what is written, and true as long the 20 pages are full. pretty sad journalism, there is not much control and ethics existing there.

6. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny, i posted some terrible cell phone pics in this forum here, then found them posted by someone else using their name in another forum website !!!
    It is illegal to post pics in a public paper like that, infact on Flickr is there not the copyright Logo and legal info in the bottom right hand corner ? I think even here in the Philippines you would have copyright case in court. So as we say the ball is in your court.

7. appy_ammer

appy_ammer DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ?

Unless you put out a disclaimer and copywrite on your work then take the route of flattery... :wink:

8. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    that are the general yahoo ToU not the flickr part.

I just had a similar discussion about FB, there it reads like that:

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
    When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
    When you use an application, your content and information is shared with the application. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, read our Privacy Policy and Platform Page.)
    When you publish content or information using the "everyone" setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
    We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

all "social" free networks read similar, they are all no charity investing billions for us to have fun...

The way out of that problem is simple, get a domain, your own serverspace for 3,95 a month and make your ToU's (many good templates for that available), at least you can do something against stealing content (if you have enough time and money)

the second option is being member on a professional image-site where your content actually stays yours alone.

10. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I'd bet he pulled it off of an image search looking for a stock picture of Dumaguete public market.
    Am I right?
    My suggestion would be don't embarrass yourself by threatening, or demanding or being demeaning, the man just wanted a nice picture of the people at the market to illustrate a story he was writing.
    If anything contact him to talk about the coincidence of the person that shot that picture being a reader of his newspaper.
    Consider it a contribution to the community.
    Add it to your portfolio. :cool: You got a story to tell people. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.