Dumaguete Info Search

WWII in Dumaguete...asked with respect

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by 2blackbelts, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This question may be sensitive still, so I ask with all respect.

My father served in the Philippines in WW II, aboard the US Randolph, a carrier.

Are there still WW II artifacts around Dumaguete to look at and explore? I don't mean the normal stuff like monuments, etc., but possibly old bunkers, pill boxes, wrecked vehicles in the jungle, or downed planes that haven't gone back to nature.

My father spoke highly of the Philippines, and I would like to explore this when I move over.

Thanks for the help
    2 blackbelts

2. Decon_phils

Decon_phils DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 2
    Just an advise: There is a private museum with a very, very huge collection WW II stuff located in Valencia. Drive from Dmgte to Valencia, and just before the town-proper, at yr right hand some " Japanese" sign there. A rather amazing collection ranging from Coca-Cola bottles (1923 or about) till 1000 pounders and about anything in between. There is no entrance fee. Give as you like. Very nice people, who are proud of there collection. A sure "must" for those interested and absolutely amazing ! Good luck
    Ryan (Aka Decon-Phils)

3. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This one?....

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/fil-am-japanese-shrine.php

...or this one?

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/cata-al-war-memorabilia.php

4. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some quotes and such:

Target of the 42nd BG -Kendarii, So. Celebes was Dec. 2nd 1944, 2 days after we had lost our navigator on a long mission to Dumaguete Airfield on Negros in the Philippines.

Photo courtesy of George Jones, 42nd BG

More quotes: SOUTHWEST PACIFIC AREA [SWPA, Far East Air Force (FEAF)]: In the Philippine Islands, B-24s hit Dumaguete Airfield on Negros Island while fighter-bombers hit shipping in the Palompon area of Leyte Island and targets of opportunityat Valencia on Mindanao Island.

B-25s strike Dumaguete Airfield on Negros Island. Fighter-bombers, B-24s, and B-25s fly armed reconnaissance, harassing strikes, and light raids over various areas of the Netherlands East Indies
    and Philippine Islands.

[​IMG]

Well before the fighting had concluded around Cebu City, the Americal Division was in action elsewhere, as Arnold complied with General Eichelberger's urging to begin operations against Bohol and southeastern Negros.

On 11 April a battalion of the 164th Infantry landed at Tagbalaran on the western coast of nearby Bohol. Assisted by the local guerrilla force, the battalion pushed inland, located the defenders, and by the end of the month had cleared the island of active Japanese resistance at a cost of seven men killed.

The remainder of the 164th Infantry went ashore in southeastern Negros on 26 April, approximately five miles north of Dumaguete. There it soon made contact with the Reconnaissance Troop of the 40th Division, which had worked its way south along the eastern coast without encountering opposition.

Two days later the 164th attacked the 1,300-man Japanese garrison that occupied forbidding hill positions ten miles southwest of Dumaguete (Japanese Shrine area?). Combat continued until 28 May, when the Japanese positions fell and the ever-present guerrillas largely assumed responsibility for mopping up.

On Negros, the 164th Infantry lost 35 men killed and 180 wounded, while killing 530 Japanese and capturing 15

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While you're all enjoying Dgte and the other islands, think of those who were there and never made it back...

5. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    WWII japanese atrocities to filipino civilians

This might be branching off the main topic. But just to share those passed on stories experienced during WWII involving the japs which were really out of this world barbaric vicious killings of civilians,might be insignificant as there's always casualties and fatalities in war.But to Filipinos those days had their lives deeply traumatized during the jap occupation .Filipinos were very thankful of American soldiers coming back advancing in and getting rid of those ferocious japs .History speaks even to date that anything american is loved by majority of filis in the islands...even the big MC:wink:

My father was still a very young boy during WWII,and saw those traumatic grisly scenes of utter savage tortures done by the japanese soldiers.One account was ,he saw while hiding quietly in the bushes overlooking the beach where our house is now,a middle age man also their neighbor battered and hanged upside down screaming ,and the Japs skinned his head off,literally with the whole skin hanging flapping in the air like peace of cloth,and this man was left there to die in sheer agony.

6. ViperACR

ViperACR DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out at Apo Island, Paul related that his wife Liberty's grandfather was mayor of the island back in WWII. When the Japanese landed on the island, he walked out to greet them and they shot him dead.

- Which got everyone else on the island's attention quickly.

7. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    When my grandmother was young, she and her family had to evacuate our house in downtown because the Japs came and invaded and pillaged homes. My Lola and her family ran to the hills of Valencia and stayed there for a long time (which is how we came to own property there). Eventually, they returned to the house in downtown and discovered that the house was still intact, but lots of things were either gone or broken. The house was never renovated through the following decades. When I was 16, I came to Dumaguete with my parents to live in that same house for a year and a half. At the risk of being ridiculed, my mom and I heard what sounded like soldiers marching up and down the stairs at all hours of the night, and on one night my mom saw a Japanese soldier climbing up the stairs around 2am. These "apparitions" were not uncommon in our neighborhood back then. My grandfather also sometimes liked to make his presence known to us; he had died before I was born.

8. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    If you come across a skeleton in uniform in the mountains, its only a Japanese soldier.

My Father in law told me a story. In the 70's a Japanese baseball team toured the Phils and came to Dumaguete, the mayor had flags out and bunting etc etc and the crowd turned out for the team to parade down the main street and on to the Reception Venue, when they walked in procession down the street many people threw stones at them..........

Here is my Video clip : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF-Tast2Ua8

Enough said I think

9. OP
    OP
    2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    WW II in Dumaguete...

Phil T:

An absolutely beautiful tribute to your father, and a very well made documentary.

2 blackbelts

10. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Thankyou 2blackbelts, I am trying to write a book on my Fathers story, in my spare time, He never told anyone of his past, about time it was put right....meantime, please.....do not ask me about anything Japanese, you might not like me for it, :rolleyes:

there was a POW camp to the North of Dumaguete during the war, where I do not know, but I heard of one.

Also in Manila I went to see the old quarter and visited Jose Rizals house, during ww2 the Japanese held people in the basement in cells, there was a sign there to that effect, but it was taken down so as not to offend the Japanese tourists, I say they should have made the sign BIGGER, after what they did to people of manila in the war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.