Dumaguete Info Search

WWII in Dumaguete...asked with respect

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by 2blackbelts, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PhilT

Thanks for sharing your video. Very well done, and your right, it is enough said. A very thoughtful and moving tribute.

Good luck on your book. It seems like your father's story would be very interesting to tell. Current and future generations need to be aware of the sacrifices our father's generation made.

best regards,

West Coast Hokie

2. wretched_hyena

wretched_hyena DI Member

Artist
    Ratings:
    +6 / 7
    A while back, I read about a new memorial near the former Clark Air Force Base, which was where the Kamakazis took off to bomb American ships in the Pacific before it became a U.S. air base. The memorial is dedicated to the Kamakazi pilots and has a statue of one. I read it was built to attract Japanese tourists. While I feel that a memorial to those Japanese who died is fitting, this memorial is in bad taste. Being an artist, I've thought of finding a willing landowner adjacent to the memorial and creating my own memorial on the land with a statue of a Japanese soldier raping a Filipina while another soldier held her husband and child to watch.

3. Editor164InfantryNews

Editor164InfantryNews One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    164th Infantry helped liberate your city/island

Please see ViperACR's post of 3-24-2007, which quoted the Army's Southern Philippines historical campaign booklet. It references the 164th Infantry Regiment (Americal Division) landing north of Dumaguete to help liberate the city and islands from Japanese control.
    I read with interest the stories of the Japanese atrocities in this thread. Although I am not a WWII veteran, I am proud to be associated with the brave soldiers of the 164th Infantry.
    The 164th was the first Army unit to offensively engage the enemy in EITHER theatre when they landed at Guadalcanal on 13 Oct 42 to reinforce the 1st Marine Division's defense of Henderson Field. They were seasoned war veterans by the time they arrived in Los Negros. One of our members recently described the activity of his company in securing the roads to the north of Dumaguete. He was 19 years old at the time.
    A history professor is writing a manuscript for a book about the 164th in WWII. If any island survivors have stories to tell about gaining their freedom from Japanese control, I would be interested in gathering these histories for possible use in our Newsletter or in the Book.
    You may contact me at Editor164InfantryNews@hotmail.com

4. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My Father was one of the 1st Marine Division that was relieved by the 164th at Guadalcanal.

He told me him and the boys were plenty happy to get out of that place.

By the way, up here on our property in Valencia we quite often find relics from the war. Especially after a hard rain.

Lots of old shell casings and bomb/mortar fragments. Found a nice US Army messkit fork not too long ago.

5. OP
    OP
    2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    WWII in Dumaguete

Hey Marky:

Very interesting about your finds in Valencia.

Both my father, and father in law served in the Philippines. My dad on a carrier, and my father in law in the mariens.

Have you ever used a metal detector on your property? I bet we could really "dig" up the past with a good detector.

Keep me posted of your finds.

2 blackbelts

6. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Well 2BB, you got to get you a good dirt bike. Ridings a lot more fun than digging holes.:cool:

7. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Marky

""Ridings a lot more fun than digging holes""
    Unless of course your digging those hole with a knobby.

Jim

8. Marky

Marky DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeaaaa! Thats what I'm talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.