Dumaguete Info Search

Your biggest mistake

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by sprink131371, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fresh fish isn't a problem. My brother in law brings up fresh fish from Bayawan every day to Lab-As and sells some at the market as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to add customers. Dgte market is full of fish hauling trucks every morning, I don't think those coolers are full of farm raised fish are they?

I'd avoid shipping anything here via container. PI Customs will demand a few thousand dollars from you before you can take it away...I've seen it happen!

2. OP
    OP
    sprink131371

sprink131371 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bandit send me a map. Google maps doesn't have any of those areas listed. But if it's fresh......Do they deliver to Bohol? Heck they are probably half way there if they are getting good fish (from what I hear). As far as the taxes on the container, they can't be any more oppressive than the ones I am under now, but I digress......

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    My brother in law also supplies fish which he gets from pens in the Northeastern coastal area. That is a fish farm to me. I would imagine that everyone is doing it the same way, but I could be wrong. So there are actual fishing boats in Bayawan? I do not see very many of those around.

Yes avoid containers because they are more likely to come under the scrutiny of customs and taxes are based on values usually assessed at the new price of each item, not current fair market price so you will not win that one. Balikbayan boxes are really the way to go. There should be one or two companies that operate out of Atlanta and some of the Philippino grocery stores.

4. OP
    OP
    sprink131371

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is at least two Balikbayan shippers that I have found that ship from Georgia. But the boxes that I have "seen" won't hold a saw, clippers, and other tools with out the bottom falling out. Am I "looking" at the wrong ones? I think I just answered my own question and need to go look at them first hand before I pass judgment. 24x24x18 seems small to me. Of course I am an American. I never thought about the grocery stores. Thank you.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    the fishermen (at least the few who are left) from Bayawan go all the way t down to Tawi-Tawi, if weather allows.
    One of our DI-members could tell you a interesting story when they "borrowed" his banka for additional capacity ...

6. mrbee

mrbee DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh dear...expecting your first world ameneties in a third world country...stay home and watch the next episode on plasma!

7. OP
    OP
    sprink131371

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I had a plasma I wouldn't feel the urge. But it is funny you mention that as I was in the shower think, "5 more months of plastic under my feet. Then it's concrete baby." It will be like being in school again, without the taunts of "Look how small that guy's............feet are.

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Don't worry the concrete is no problem. The water might be though.....LOL...

9. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Volume not weight.

Remember with Balikbayan boxes it's all about volume not the weight of the box. I have been amazed at what my wife can pack into one. Just use nylon reinforced packing tape and you will be good to go. Try and distribute the really heavy items between the boxes to avoid any ripage and remember that you can use as much tape as you want.

10. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Our boxes in Oz are about twice that size.....you Americans are getting ripped off.....anyway they leave our house (like Pedro said) 50% covered in tape and stuffed to the very top. Need a forklift to lift them....but three Filipinos will do. You can put anything in them....computers, stereo gear, food, you name it...I shipped half a dozen Mac's a few months ago. No problems or duty....