Dumaguete Info Search

Changing Shower Fixture

Discussion in '☋ Photo Board ☋' started by PatO, Nov 17, 2011.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    My shower fixture and valve broke after 10 months, not covered by new house build, so I buy a new one and ask the builder to replace. Not a screw old one out, screw new one in solution. Philippines style you have to chip out the tiles all around it, then the cement surrounding it, then replace, then try and find matching tiles. Taking hours to chip out while new baby trying to sleep. Irate but what can you do.:mad:

Attached Files:

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Hmmmm.......looks familiar! O-|

Hang in there Pat!

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    It gets worse before it gets better

Just to make sure I was 120% pissed off, they said adios, see you tomorrow, and oh by way, we punctured a whole in the pipe so you can't use the sinks or toilet. Hey, no apologies necessary, f you guys....

Attached Files:

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Welcome to the world of sh*t Chinese products~~~ Just last week I was called home for an emergency as my helper was stuck in the C.R. The door lock set made in china jammed and I had to body slam the F'n door to force it open and get the terrified girl out. The cement jam and the door stayed in tact but the lock blew apart.

I know how you feel Pat, I had the same plumbing thing happen to me, except I carefully did all the chipping my self and found better quality plumbing at Handyman Robinsons.
    Ron

5. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    I almost can't believe the following happened, but unfortunately I am looking at it. After two days of chipping cement and tile, replacing the valve unit, cementing around the new, cutting new tiles to fit, and completion, the new unit is not working properly; the valve is push in for water to come out the lower unit and pull out for the overhead but the mofo comes out both so not enough pressure to properly shower. They told me they tested but if they did not sure what happened. Called the builder, they will be back tomorrow to redo. #&^+@>/???? = WTF

6. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +675 / 92

PatO
    assuming you didn't buy a cheapo shower unit, you should be able to pull the faucet stem and check it out; look for bits of pvc ''sawdust'' that maybe causing the stem to malfunction. maybe lube it with some silicone grease (i have some), etc. if all else fails, i'd be happy to take a look at it sunday.

norm : ))~

7. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Norm, very kind and appreciated offer. In my case, I am not so concerned with paying for a replacement valve unit as I am the amount of damage control required to fix the f'n problem, whatever it may be with the new fixture. ie, chipping tile and concretre once again. At this point, unaware of perhaps a working solution you described, I am at the mercy of the crew by builder sent out (by the way, the builder didn't have to help me, it is not covered within the one year warranty and he is paying for labor and materials). As Ron (Expatron) so eloquently described, most of the parts and fixtures here are from China and....... Anyway, thanks again Norm.

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hi Pat...LOL..I know how you feel to a degree. I bought and installed a Chinese tap set for our guest bathroom. $39.95 special at the local hardware store. I've done a lot of plumbing - an entire house I bought in California for example - all the way from the meter...and plenty since then. But this piece of crap corroded and blew out, less than two years old, while we were away in the US and destroyed the cabinet it was mounted in and the wall with rot and mould...From what I can see your plumber there has done things generally by the book (although what is with the pipe puncture and how long does it take to fix...in my experience about 20 - 30 minutes). What does surprise me is that your builder didn't give you extra tiles for every tiled room in the house (even the roof if you have them there). Standard procedure here, and I still have many tiles left over from our place that the builder provided, which we build in the early 80's. Very handy after a bad storm and other issues. Something to keep in mind for anyone contemplating building in the Philippines...make sure they give you extra tiles...And if you get the opportunity - pay more for quality plumbing pipes and fittings...Crap doesn't last. Down here 90% comes from China now - but some of it is much better than others....take the time to look and pay the extra....

9. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Zo (saves 6 key strokes on my arthritic fingers), my builder supplies replacement tiles and no service charge, I just have to pay for any fixtures crapping out. I've had shower fixtures in the states lasting a long time with maybe only a washer needing changed. But as you point out, China parts have a short life span. I know a guy who built a house in Boracay and had the majority of materials and fixtures imported from US and Italy. Of course, he paid over USD 1M and took forever to build but he is happy now. Me, don't have the money and time to go that route. Go Tiger in the Presidents Cup

10. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Last week We had an "electrician" replace service line from breaker service box to meter. The knucklehead wanted to run the line thru helper's CR window to meter.........LOL........I caught it before He tried. I insisted the line be run thru the wall with proper conduit. Job turned out nice.........:smile:Moral of story:Watch any work needed like a hawk!!!